High Speed Chase

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ahh spring is in the air. The meadowlarks and killdeer are showing up, the fox at the end of the lane has three kits (that I have counted so far) and the antelope are browsing on the new seedlings in the neighbor's field.
My daughter and I got lucky this morning while doing chores. We were feeding the horses and happened to look up to see two antelope running full out along the north fence line. At first I thought we had startled them, but then we realized they were chasing something. There was a big red fox about twenty feet ahead of the lead antelope. The trio ran along the fence, past our horse shed (about 150 feet from us) across the access road and down the neighbors field. The pronghorn hot on that fox's heels the whole way. The pursuit continued on for about a quarter mile before the antelope gave it up. Then the fox trotted off and laid down in the grass to catch her breath. I am guessing the fox isn't the only one with a new baby, and fawn wasn't on the menu this morning. {D

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, seeing nature up close and personal is awesome. But sharing space with predators has its down side. My dog had to go to the vet yesterday, and mama fox took full advantage of her absence. She snitched four of my chickens. :(