High Monsoon Season: Chalcodes May Need Moisture Now

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Greetings from New River, AZ: Chalcodes Central. For several weeks, we have been getting early seasonal monsoon humidity, dust storms, and light, sporadic and widely scattered afternoon showers. Last night, all of central Arizona got a good, slow soaking, so blond tarantulas here in the wild will be experiencing moist, sandy, rocky soil and heavily hydrated prey.

Keep in mind, however, that all of Arizona has extremely quick draining soil - not an impermeable glass bottom under 3 inches of moisture-retaining coconut fiber! If you are going to raise the moisture level, overflowing their water dishes and lightly spraying the sides of the habitat will create all the humidity chalcodes experience during monsoon in the wild, especially if you live in a humid region. Today is incredibly cool and humid for us here in AZ at only 50% humidity, 84 degrees at 10:30 am, and a dew point of 64 degrees. We're all just miserable! [Insert violins here] Don't hate us because we're used to a dry heat...:p

More about the Southwestern American Monsoon Season: http://arizonaexperience.org/land/arizonas-monsoon-season Sonoran Desert Monsoon.jpg

Mauri

Arachnoknight
My cousin lives in Phoenix. I love Arizona!!! Thanks for the heads up and what a picture.

For my Anax and Hentzi I often give them a bit of extra moisture. My Hentzi I think tips her water cap up on purpose some times. I'd really like the Flagstaff tarantula...

Oh and the moderatum I think it's called (rio grande gold no?).

cold blood

Staff member
lol, 50% humidity IS a dry heat for most of the country....84 is incredibly cool?????? No its not!....you make me laugh, hard....that's just hilarious. How can a human be miserable in those nearly ideal conditions???? I'm completely floored by your comments.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Keep in mind, I'm not hating, I'm laughing...hard.:astonished:

You need not do anything with regards to your t...nothing whatsoever.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Today is incredibly cool and humid for us here in AZ at only 50% humidity, 84 degrees at 10:30 am, and a dew point of 64 degrees. We're all just miserable!

Seems fairly mild. We have some summer mornings where it's 82 at sunrise. For a tropical experience try Florida middays when it's mid 90's with 90% humidity. Darndest thing, it's almost impossible to find tourists then.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Darndest thing, it's almost impossible to find tourists then.
That's because they know what it is like to not have to live in an outdoor sauna. :p

That seems pretty mild to me as well. We have a lot of humidity and heat in NC this time of year.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I just made a thread yesterday about having to add humidity to several of my arid species. It does indeed happen.

50% is extremely humid! It's a whopping 25% in Vegas today, and I'm absolutely miserable. Relativity, mates :D