Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

High Humidity Housing Lid

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by empscorp77, Mar 2, 2013.

1. empscorp77

empscorp77 Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hello all,

New member here looking for some advice for housing my emperor scorpion. My current acrylic lid is doing moderately well at keeping moisture in but a more efficient lid would be nice. What do seasoned owners use as covers/lids? My tank is currently 5.5 gal and I will be upgrading to 10 gal in 2 weeks so I will need a new lid that will fit quite well.

I appreciate all input

2. Solucki

Solucki Arachnoknight

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  3. ~Abyss~

~Abyss~ Arachnoking Old Timer

4. DreamWeaver8

DreamWeaver8 Arachnosquire

for smaller enclosures the glass from a picture frame works very nice, just make sure to tape the sides so it isnt sharp.

5. Boatman

Boatman Arachnosquire

Get a sheet of acrylic from Home Depot, cut it to the appropriate size, drill a few air holes & attach a handle.

6. empscorp77

empscorp77 Arachnopeon

Thank you for all the replies. I'll be sure to use some of these and experiment a little

7. Aztek

Aztek Arachnoprince

I don't like all the stuff that grows because of the lack of ventilation with a covered top.

Just use the false bottom with constant water.

8. ~Abyss~

~Abyss~ Arachnoking Old Timer

Aztek! Guey I've been looking for you paisa pm me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Formerphobe

Formerphobe Arachnoking Arachnosupporter

I tried a false bottom when I first set up my Emperor tank several years ago. The scorpions adjusted it to their liking and the pea gravel is now fairly well distributed throughout the substrate. I have screen tops ~95% covered with some type of generic Saran wrap. My Emperors happily co-habitate with a colony of isopods that performs an excellent maintenance job. The only thing growing in my very humid, low ventilation scorpion tanks are baby scorpions, and the plants I deliberately put in there. The live plants help boost the humidity and the hard-working isopods keep the tanks smelling sweet and clean.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Aztek

Aztek Arachnoprince

I had fungi ?

11. Formerphobe

Did you have isopods?

12. Aztek

Aztek Arachnoprince

No. I did not.

13. MrCrackerpants

MrCrackerpants Arachnoprince

tyi
    isopods are your friend : )

---------- Post added 03-05-2013 at 11:17 PM ----------

What temperature are you keeping your enclosure at? I use this set up.

14. Formerphobe

Ummm, warm? When I had a thermometer on the tank, it usually read between 75 - 80F. When it broke, I didn't replace it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.