High Humidity Housing Lid

empscorp77

Arachnopeon
Hello all,

New member here looking for some advice for housing my emperor scorpion. My current acrylic lid is doing moderately well at keeping moisture in but a more efficient lid would be nice. What do seasoned owners use as covers/lids? My tank is currently 5.5 gal and I will be upgrading to 10 gal in 2 weeks so I will need a new lid that will fit quite well.

I appreciate all input

DreamWeaver8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
for smaller enclosures the glass from a picture frame works very nice, just make sure to tape the sides so it isnt sharp.

Boatman

Arachnosquire
Get a sheet of acrylic from Home Depot, cut it to the appropriate size, drill a few air holes & attach a handle.

empscorp77

Arachnopeon
Thank you for all the replies. I'll be sure to use some of these and experiment a little

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't like all the stuff that grows because of the lack of ventilation with a covered top.

Just use the false bottom with constant water.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I tried a false bottom when I first set up my Emperor tank several years ago. The scorpions adjusted it to their liking and the pea gravel is now fairly well distributed throughout the substrate. I have screen tops ~95% covered with some type of generic Saran wrap. My Emperors happily co-habitate with a colony of isopods that performs an excellent maintenance job. The only thing growing in my very humid, low ventilation scorpion tanks are baby scorpions, and the plants I deliberately put in there. The live plants help boost the humidity and the hard-working isopods keep the tanks smelling sweet and clean.

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I tried a false bottom when I first set up my Emperor tank several years ago. The scorpions adjusted it to their liking and the pea gravel is now fairly well distributed throughout the substrate. I have screen tops ~95% covered with some type of generic Saran wrap. My Emperors happily co-habitate with a colony of isopods that performs an excellent maintenance job. The only thing growing in my very humid, low ventilation scorpion tanks are baby scorpions, and the plants I deliberately put in there. The live plants help boost the humidity and the hard-working isopods keep the tanks smelling sweet and clean.
I had fungi ?

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No. I did not.
isopods are your friend : )

---------- Post added 03-05-2013 at 11:17 PM ----------

What temperature are you keeping your enclosure at? I use this set up.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
isopods are your friend : )

---------- Post added 03-05-2013 at 11:17 PM ----------

What temperature are you keeping your enclosure at? I use this set up.
Ummm, warm? When I had a thermometer on the tank, it usually read between 75 - 80F. When it broke, I didn't replace it.