Hides

Petah Parkah

Arachnosquire
So guys. I used a piece of bark from a branch of our chopped down tree. Is it ok? I didn't treat the bark but it was dry and I checked for ants and other insects and it was clear. Is it ok as a hide or should I replace it with a plastic cup?

cold blood

Staff member
Nope, get it out of these asap...anything even semi fresh will mold almost overnight.

Baking wood is the best way to get rid of moisture within the wood, but you have to start with the right wood in the first place. If you are looking outside, I suggest finding water and picking up drift wood from the shores...Otherwise you really have to know what you are looking for and what to avoid.

NO PLASTIC CUP....that's not a suitable hide. PVC or a cracked pot or mug would be better solutions...a hide should never be a dead end, a t should be able to burrow beneath if it wants.

Last edited:

Petah Parkah

Arachnosquire
Nope, get it out of these asap...anything even semi fresh will mold almost overnight.

Baking wood is the best way to get rid of moisture within the wood, but you have to start with the right wood in the first place. If you are looking outside, I suggest finding water and picking up drift wood from the shores...Otherwise you really have to know what you are looking for and what to avoid.
It isn't really fresh, about a month. Give or take a few weeks.
Anyways, I can't really get it out now. My t is molting inside.

cold blood

Staff member
That's super duper mega fresh...I'm talking years old when I say not fresh...literally 98% of wood you see laying around is useless as a hide.

cold blood

Staff member
My t is molting inside
Best of luck...that can get a white fuzzy mold that will literally block a hide overnight...that happens and you might see one of the very rare instances of mold killing a t...keep a close eye on it....hopefully it works out.

Petah Parkah

Arachnosquire
Best of luck...that can get a white fuzzy mold that will literally block a hide overnight...that happens and you might see one of the very rare instances of mold killing a t...keep a close eye on it....hopefully it works out.
Welp, I had the bark for a few days now but nothing really grew( due to my climate maybe?). So as soon as she exits her hide after molting should I immediately get the bark out and replace with a plastic cup or wait until she regains her strength from molting?

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Welp, I had the bark for a few days now but nothing really grew( due to my climate maybe?). So as soon as she exits her hide after molting should I immediately get the bark out and replace with a plastic cup or wait until she regains her strength from molting?
I actually believe it was strongly recommended not to use a plastic cup at all, as that is not suitable. You need something with no end so they can dig should they decide to.

Petah Parkah

Arachnosquire

Baking wood is the bestb way to get rid of moisture within the wood, but you have to start with the right wood in the first place. If you are looking outside, I suggest finding water and picking up drift wood from the shores...Otherwise you really have to know what you are looking for and what to avoid.

NO PLASTIC CUP....that's not a suitable hide. PVC or a cracked pot or mug would be better solutions...a hide should never be a dead end, a t should be able to burrow beneath if it wants.
But I cut the bottom portion off the cup so there would'nt be an end

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
Plastic hides are safe if you choose to use them. I enjoy more of a natural look so I tend to use things from the outdoors. Bake them for an hour at 250 if you choose to do so. You'll be fine either way.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Plastic hides are safe if you choose to use them. I enjoy more of a natural look so I tend to use things from the outdoors. Bake them for an hour at 250 if you choose to do so. You'll be fine either way.
250 celsius or farenheit? im never sure. I usually just leave the pieces by a furnace over the winter and im good to go

Petah Parkah

Arachnosquire
Thank
thank you for the straightforward answer good sir.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As someone who used to chop wood for many years to heat a house. That wood is not seasoned, and is extremely fresh, ie green. Green wood is not seasoned, and thus fresh. It would be best to use seasoned wood as we say in the heating arenas.

What type of tree is it? Not all wood is suitable for exotics.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I've used an Frylight top ( as I'm on Slimming World ) bit worried now about using it due to the plastic!