Hide suggestions?

cloudy0764

Arachnopeon
I’ve had my B. Boehmei for about two weeks now, and everything was going well, until I got home from a ~2-2 1/2 day long trip. It’s enclosure suddenly had started to grow mold. ( I cleaned all the mold and did some research, it was supposedly harmless, but I removed it anyways. It had most likely been due to high humidity in the enclosure.) I removed it’s hide (it was covered in the same mold), and now I want to give it a better hide, since the old hide was a little big for the enclosure size as well. My T has a leg span of about 1 3/4- 2 inches, and I estimate it’s about a year old. Does anyone have any suggestions for a hide?

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
I’ve had my B. Boehmei for about two weeks now, and everything was going well, until I got home from a ~2-2 1/2 day long trip. It’s enclosure suddenly had started to grow mold. ( I cleaned all the mold and did some research, it was supposedly harmless, but I removed it anyways. It had most likely been due to high humidity in the enclosure.) I removed it’s hide (it was covered in the same mold), and now I want to give it a better hide, since the old hide was a little big for the enclosure size as well. My T has a leg span of about 1 3/4- 2 inches, and I estimate it’s about a year old. Does anyone have any suggestions for a hide?
i literally just snap a piece of corkbark and shove it in. you can anything that wont mold, though i prefer mold resistant woods when possible. your local pet store should have plenty of options, and if you cant find something super small, bigger is better than nothing a lot of ts will fill the space with webbing or even drag some moss in

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
A B. boehmei enclosure shouldn't be very susceptible for mold growth in the first place, especially if the spider isn't a sling anymore. Sounds like you should tone down on the moisture in there in the future.

Just in case, a photo of spider and enclosure would help.

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
adding springtails in would help keep the equilibrium, but yeah karo is right, it shouldnt mold anyway, somethings wrong with the moisture or ventilation usually if somethin thats just a tub of dirt, esp coco fibre, is molding.

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
I've cut up plastic cups from fast food joints and they worked just fine.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
adding springtails in would help keep the equilibrium, but yeah karo is right, it shouldnt mold anyway, somethings wrong with the moisture or ventilation usually if somethin thats just a tub of dirt, esp coco fibre, is molding.
Disagree, freshly expanded coco fiber tends to mold pretty easily. After it's first dryout it's usually fine for me.

Springtails can help

pongdict

Arachnosquire
Cork bark should not mold easy with proper ventilation. Plastic (hard plastic cup cut in half, or deli cups with a hole cut) is another good option, not the most aesthetically pleasing. I only use it on the ones not in their forever homes yet.

cloudy0764

Arachnopeon
Here’s a picture, you can’t quite see all his substrate, but it’s almost completely dry. (sorry for the awful camera quality)

Attachments

pongdict

Arachnosquire
There is condensation on the lid. Did you mist recently? Probably need more top ventilation.

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
Here’s a picture, you can’t quite see all his substrate, but it’s almost completely dry. (sorry for the awful camera quality)
the ventilation looks fine, so it must be over watering. just overflow a water dish in there for him. hes also in a stresspose in the corner, ill assume that its bc you picked up the enclosure and startled him, but give him a hide asap.

cold blood

Staff member
springtails breathe through a gill system; they therefore require a certain degree of moisture. A properly set up Brachy enclosure would not allow springtails to survive.

cloudy0764

Arachnopeon
the ventilation looks fine, so it must be over watering. just overflow a water dish in there for him. hes also in a stresspose in the corner, ill assume that its bc you picked up the enclosure and startled him, but give him a hide asap.
He was walking around fine earlier, so I’m sure he’s just startled. As for the hide, I’ll work on that now!

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
springtails breathe through a gill system; they therefore require a certain degree of moisture. A properly set up Brachy enclosure would not allow springtails to survive.
mine cluster around my water dish in drier environments and mine are ones that live in both arid and moist environment, not tropicals

cold blood

Staff member
mine cluster around my water dish in drier environments and mine are ones that live in both arid and moist environment, not tropicals
arid springtails?...please tell me the species if you dont mind. From my understanding, no such springtails should exist....I would love to learn if I am mistaken.

cloudy0764

Arachnopeon
Update: He (just using he for now, until I can properly sex it) has a hide now! I just used an old deli cup from one of my other tarantulas, after I thoroughly washed it ofc. He isn’t using it though, he’s digging a burrow instead lol

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
arid springtails?...please tell me the species if you dont mind. From my understanding, no such springtails should exist....I would love to learn if I am mistaken.
i got them from the invertebrate dude. http://invertebratedude.blogspot.com/ if you check the available tab and scroll down theres tons of springtail species. i use the ones that tolerate a wide range of environments or i use the dry hardy species there.

Update: He (just using he for now, until I can properly sex it) has a hide now! I just used an old deli cup from one of my other tarantulas, after I thoroughly washed it ofc. He isn’t using it though, he’s digging a burrow instead lol
thats what all my tarantulas have ever done. "oh you finally got a nice perfect hide in a great spot??? i already decided to dig into the dirt instead."