Hide size... Any rule of thumb ?

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hello Folks

I know when it comes to terrestial T's you should have the substrate high enough for one length leg span to the top. For enclosures the rule is 2.5 times the leg span. What's the rule for hides ? Do they need to be able to fully spread out their legs for it to be " the right size " ?

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello Folks

I know when it comes to terrestial T's you should have the substrate high enough for one length leg span to the top. For enclosures the rule is 2.5 times the leg span. What's the rule for hides ? Do they need to be able to fully spread out their legs for it to be " the right size " ?
Spiders can cram themsleves in some pretty narrow openings and crevices, so I would say no. That being said, I generally give them ample room to stretch out and move around in the hide area. Usualy, if its not enough room, they will make more by digging up underneath it.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i usually make it like 1-1.5 the spiders size, and if they need more they take care of it themselves.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
They like to be touching something solid, helps them feel safe. So it needn't be overly large. Usually a bit wider then their legspan, but tall enough for molting (They'll usually dig down a bit to make it just right size).

-Sean