Hibernation

Arachnopal

Arachnopeon
I have a local Aphonopelma Sp. Arizona Blonde aka new river. Pre adult female legs are maybe 3 inch. Captured in my back yard it's so local.
My house is 70 degrees but this young female has buried herself for a long winter nap. None of my other T's seem to have this urge.
I assumed the temps controlled this hibernation instinct. So is it wild caught verses captive breed? Temps? Lenth of day? all of the above? none of the above?
No shes not molting. I hate to say this but 2 weeks after she buried herself i dug her up to move her to a different enclosure. After chowing down 2 crickets and a stay at the water dish she buried herself again. She really does want to nap until spring.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a local Aphonopelma Sp. Arizona Blonde aka new river. Pre adult female legs are maybe 3 inch. Captured in my back yard it's so local.
My house is 70 degrees but this young female has buried herself for a long winter nap. None of my other T's seem to have this urge.
I assumed the temps controlled this hibernation instinct. So is it wild caught verses captive breed? Temps? Lenth of day? all of the above? none of the above?
They can sense the seasons and especially since this is a W(ild)C(aught) tarantula, that is what its instinct is telling it to do. Both of our Aphonopelma species are burrowed down right now and we aren't expecting to see them until spring. One is possibly WC and the other is C(aptive)B(red). It isn't hibernating in the true definition of the word and it isn't sleeping either; think of it more as a pet rock that lives in a cave for a season.

We also have a CB B. smithi that exhibited this behavior.

No shes not molting. I hate to say this but 2 weeks after she buried herself i dug her up to move her to a different enclosure. After chowing down 2 crickets and a stay at the water dish she buried herself again. She really does want to nap until spring.
If she has indeed burrowed down for the season, she will most likely be wearing a new outfit when she emerges.