Hibernation

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
To all,
Well its about that time of year when the leaves fall from the trees and the weather cools down, its also that time of year when alot of critters turn it in and sleep for the winter. Including our local tarantulas. Iv decided to take all my breed female Aphonopelmas and hibernate them in my basment were it reflects the outside temps. The coldness should instigate egg production for the late winter/spring laying proccess. I am curious if any others out here have done that. What are your thoughts on it good bad/ yea/nea. Let me know.

Sincerely,

Brandon

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
do tarantulas hibernate??
what about those species that live near the equator where the season change is less evident??

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Kosh,
Usually Hibernation is just in places were there is extram climate change, from summer with a average 110 degress to winter with a average of 60 and lower its no wonder they hibernate here. In places like the tropics it is my understanding that the tarantulas DO NOT hibernate. The ones here mearly block the entrance to there burrows and remain dorment till warmer weather.

Sincerely,

Brandon