hi

TBONE

Arachnopeon
what is the tarantula distribution in the USA? Is it the Mississipi that is the divider or are there any to the east?

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
B. Vegans are being found in abundance in the Florida wild now. Especially southern Florida. Apparently people were letting them go and they are thriving.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
TBONE, That would be correct and in reference to the eastern-most ranging sp, Aphonopelma hentzi. I don't know how closely they range toward the Mississippi in Ark and Mo. I haven't heard of records in the northern part of Louisiana east of Monroe near the center of the state although they may exist. :)

TBONE

Arachnopeon
Thanks for your responses. Just very curious, that's all. I live in the UK there are now more and more reports here of people coming across tarantulas here because people let them go. One recently found by a couple in leeds, west yorkshire in the woods. Also in the odd cities on streets/roads. I suppose they are so readily available to buy through mail order and people dont know what they are doing ie irresponsibility at the end of the day. Are there any other UK people here that have heard of similar stories. Thanks Sean

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
B. Vegans are being found in abundance in the Florida wild now. Especially southern Florida. Apparently people were letting them go and they are thriving.
Its actually B. vagans..

Also.. If I am not mistaken.. There are also some A. avicularia that are thriving in Florida..

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OMG Tommy I haven't noticed that before. B. vegans, some new species wich eat strict raw veggies!{D

TBONE

Arachnopeon
So to pursue this further; B.Vagans in florida (well estrablished??) my understanding is that they are only found in a citrus grove near Fort Pierce and that tjey only occupied one acre of that grove. Are there now T's all over Florida? That is sure going to scare the Disney goers especially the ones from england!!!!

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
So to pursue this further; B.Vagans in florida (well estrablished??) my understanding is that they are only found in a citrus grove near Fort Pierce and that tjey only occupied one acre of that grove. Are there now T's all over Florida? That is sure going to scare the Disney goers especially the ones from england!!!!
Thanks Redneck. But from what I heard from a heavy breeder on Youtube, they have been found throughout southern Florida, not just 1 acre. If I can find the link I'll post it. And he seemed upset at the thought of people releasing them in the wild too.

This is not uncommon. There have been huge schools of 4" to 5" Pirannah in Lake Erie near my hometown Cleveland over the past 5 years. Yes, how can they survive winters? I guess we'd have to live beneath the lake to figure this one out. Incredible

BioTeach

Arachnopeon
This is not uncommon. There have been huge schools of 4" to 5" Pirannah in Lake Erie near my hometown Cleveland over the past 5 years. Yes, how can they survive winters? I guess we'd have to live beneath the lake to figure this one out. Incredible
This statement is simply not true and misinformation like this is one of the reasons exotic pets get an undeserved bad rap. The published reports of "piranha" being caught in Ohio almost always turn out to be aquarium raised pacu and there are no verified reports of a single piranha surviving the winter in any part of Ohio let alone "huge schools" . You may want to read http://www.opefe.com/cold1.html on the cold tolerance of Pygocentrus. The only documented case of a breeding population of piranhas (Serrasalmus genus) surviving the winter was in Florida in 1977 at an abandoned amusement park in an over 1,000 gallon outdoor pond.