Hi Im in need of serious expertise.

Arachnophelia

Arachnosquire
Hello good day, I would really like to buy a g pulchra sling from my local pet store, it is about 1cm, I really need some guidance or help on what to expect and its detailed husbandry, as this is my first time buying 1 cm slings. Thank for taking time to help me out.

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
1cm sling, okay that is an extremely tiny sling that I wouldn't recommend to beginners.

Nonetheless if you want detailed husbandry, it's not too bad, but just worse compared to the hardiness of a juvie or adult.

Small pill jar with substrate filled halfway should be your sling's enclosure for the first couple molts in it's life.
From there, drop prekilled food (I recommend cut up superworms) in it's enclosure weekly (more or less). It'll eat it just fine, and not eat when it's in premolt or it's just not feeling it. Remove uneaten food a day or so later to avoid mold.
Give the lid of the enclosure many holes to ensure good ventilation and spritz water on the side of the enclosure every couple days.

When it's big enough, rehouse it to a proper fitting enclosure that has a small water dish and hide. From there it'll probably start tackling smaller, lesser prey like dubia and red runner nymphs. So on and so forth.

That's pretty much it. It's going to grow very slow, and you're going to repeating this process for a while. Yo

Good luck.

Arachnophelia

Arachnosquire
That's pretty much it. It's going to grow very slow, and you're going to repeating this process for a while. Yo

Good luck.
Awesome bro thank you alot this is exactly what I wanted a detailed and straight to the point husbandry. Now i have abit more confidence after reading this guide

Last edited by a moderator:

Arachnophelia

Arachnosquire
Patience is really the only thing of note you need concerting this species
I have no problem waiting patiently for it to grow, i read that they are moderate to slow growers, i was more worried on the husbandry part.

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
They grow extremely slow. Mine barely eats and is pretty boring but that's just my opinion on the (1) i have. I enjoy my sling T ALBO's much more.

Edit : I just don't think G Pulchra's are worth the price you gotta pay for one in the US

Arachnophelia

Arachnosquire
They grow extremely slow. Mine barely eats and is pretty boring but that's just my opinion on the (1) i have. I enjoy my sling T ALBO's much more.

Edit : I just don't think G Pulchra's are worth the price you gotta pay for one in the US
Ahh i see btw do u live in a cooler climate area, they usually say that in warmer tropical climates tarantulas are known to grow a bit faster provided the surrounding is warmer and fed well. Some say even a slow growing species becomes a moderate growing species in these conditions

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Ahh i see btw do u live in a cooler climate area, they usually say that in warmer tropical climates tarantulas are known to grow a bit faster provided the surrounding is warmer and fed well. Some say even a slow growing species becomes a moderate growing species in these conditions
Grammastola is still going to be grammastola slow

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
There are a few exceptions but most Grammostola species are slow growers, G. pulchra is in this group. Lol. Tmk, they aren't as slow as G. rosea or as fast as G. iheringi hobby form, for example.

I heard some stories of keepers that increased temperature to some individuals, and they grow faster than "normal", however, I cant confirm if this is true or false, although seend plausible, imo.

I believe you wont have much problems with it, this species is from cold regions of Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina and they are very tough, when it comes to husbandry.

I kept mine in a small delicup, with air holes and misted water on the side once or twice a week. To some keepers, this is too much misting, lol, but I had to it since the conditions of the room dried the cup to fast at that time.

Only thing is, like the guys said, you'll have to be patient. Haha.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
House in a 2oz/4oz condiment set up like below with pin holes in the lid and on the sides for ventilation, keep the sub slightly moist (once they hit 1.5 inches they can be kept on dry sub with a water dish), feed pre-killed mini mealworms/small crickets/roach nymphs or cut up larger prey into small chunks (they'll happily scavenge), growth rate is pretty slow (mine grows almost as slowly as my B. albiceps).

sling enclosure1.JPG

Kitara

Arachnodemon
I have no problem waiting patiently for it to grow, i read that they are moderate to slow growers, i was more worried on the husbandry part.
At the beginning I think they grow decently. I've had mine for a 14 months. It was about 2cm when I got it and now it's over 8cm and has molted 4-5 times. It's growing way faster than my B. smithi who wants to stay little forever. From what I understand, once they hit the 2" mark, that's when things go super slow. So I think as far as a hardy sling, this is a good one for a beginner.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Succinctly husbandry - cage, water dish, hide, substrate, maintain 1.5X DLS from sub to lid distance to prevent fall injury.

They are incredibly easy to keep just like many other NW Ts.

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
I hope you don't let the comment about this being a boring species dissuade you or discourage you; not everyone would agree. Some people really like G. pulchra, and I think that's a great choice for a beginner that may remain a favorite no matter what else you end up keeping. They often appear to have some personality, prancing around and digging in ways that might look merry, like happy little puppy dogs.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
1cm sling, okay that is an extremely tiny sling that I wouldn't recommend to beginners.
Since the OP is in Malaysia, I would say that measurement is body length. It seems that they more often follow UK/EU standard of measurement, which is body length. North America is really the only place that uses inches and DLS. I would be very surprised if a Grammostola pulchra is ever 1cm DLS.
Hello good day, I would really like to buy a g pulchra sling from my local pet store, it is about 1cm, I really need some guidance or help on what to expect and its detailed husbandry, as this is my first time buying 1 cm slings. Thank for taking time to help me out.

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
I would agree, temps play a huge role because since summer hit my slings are molting like crazy. I thought the spike in temps would have made my Pulchra molt sooner as my T room has been 80+ fahrenheit since May. I am not sure temps increase the growth rate of a Pulchra by much because it's been 80+ in the room since May and it finally molted for the 1st time the other day since I got it in December.