Hi I am new to the hobbie and I had a question about Exo Terra Night-glo bulb

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi I am new to the hobby and I had a question about Exo Terra Night-glo bulb

Hello, I got my first emp a little over a month ago, I think it is 3i, he's about 2 inches maybe, I also bought a desert hairy (adult or near adult) a week after, and this friday I am going to pick a baby jacksoni (1 molt to go to adulthood I think):D.

Anyways, I currently have 2 terrariums, both are 5g, 1 is a exo terra 12x12x12, it currently houses my baby emp and I have a regular fish tank 5g for my desert hairy. Currently the DH is in a KK for now, I am waiting for the sand to dry in the fish tank one.

I am using a 25w exo terra night-glo (purpleish color) bulb to heat/light my emp's home at the moment (I have a 50w IR light and a heat pad as well, but the 2 of those are being used to help dry the sand in the other enclosure). The night-glo light is on 24 hours since I dont have another heat source for it and it gets cold in my room often times dropping to 60F in the enclosure according to the temp gauge.

My plan is to use the IR for the daytime and the night-glo when I goto bed for the emp, and the heat pad on the side of the tank for my DH 24/7.

I have read all over that the night-glo is both safe and unsafe, I am seeing more evidence that it is safe because no where on the label or website states that there is any UV from the night-glo. tThe thing that worries me is that people are saying if he glows its bad, then people are saying hes glowing in reaction to the filament coloration not to the 'potential UV output' of the light itself.

My emp walks around at night climbing the fake background all the way to the top and digs deeper burrow from time to time, and this is with the night-glo on. I have had to move where the lamp was shining because he would climb to the top right under where the lamp/bulb is shining and I didnt want to risk a BBQ scorpion in the morning.

Can anyone please clear this up? I would hate to harm the baby cause of something so little.

BTW leaving the IR light on 24 hours is not an option it hurts my eyes and it is hard to sleep with it on :p

Sorry for the long intro and 'overinformation' I guess I wanted to cover all bases.

Last edited:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
you don't need all kinds of fancy lights (IR/ glow in the dark daylightother thingee)....I just use ordinary red bulbs for heating terrariums and in some cases heat cables.
Maybe the manufacturer has info of those glow-in-the-dark-moonlight-UV-special-nightime-Exopet-expesive-Get-all-the-money-out-of-your-pocket-the-petstore-told-me-their-great-BS-lamps....{D

Temps can vary from 18-20 Celsius in the night, to up to 30 Celsius during the day. I provide this for all my scorpions....just with the cables and ordinary red bulbs......

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Lol, well I got the night-glo and IR light for a couple bucks since I had a card at petsmart so it wasnt a big deal, I just want to know whether or not the night-glo is safe or not. Liek I said, I see both answers :/

The night-glo is on 24/7 currently cause the IR is being used as a drying heat source for my DH enclosure, within the next few days ill be moving the IR light over and using the night-glo only at night.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Lol, well I got the night-glo and IR light for a couple bucks since I had a card at petsmart so it wasnt a big deal, I just want to know whether or not the night-glo is safe or not. Liek I said, I see both answers :/

The night-glo is on 24/7 currently cause the IR is being used as a drying heat source for my DH enclosure, within the next few days ill be moving the IR light over and using the night-glo only at night.
Ah okay, normally that stuff costs you a bundle, while you don't need it.

well, they won't hurt the animals if they don't emit light in the UV spectrum. If it did, the package, and the website would have to say so, especially in the "lawsuit crazy" North America....

If that IR light hurts your eyes, don't use it too long and replace with an ordinary bulb when it dies....

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ah okay, normally that stuff costs you a bundle, while you don't need it.

well, they won't hurt the animals if they don't emit light in the UV spectrum. If it did, the package, and the website would have to say so, especially in the "lawsuit crazy" North America....

If that IR light hurts your eyes, don't use it too long and replace with an ordinary bulb when it dies....
It's like a purplish hue that it emits, I dono where that falls on the spectrum.

I use the IR during the day time for the most part so it doesnt bother me, that and I am not home for the better part of the day.

So it is safe to have the night-glo on for a majority of the night? and possibly the day then? Wont the scorpion run away and hide from the light if it harms them? I know when I shine my LED pocket light at one of the scorpions they get riled up and run away from it.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's like a purplish hue that it emits, I dono where that falls on the spectrum.

I use the IR during the day time for the most part so it doesnt bother me, that and I am not home for the better part of the day.

So it is safe to have the night-glo on for a majority of the night? and possibly the day then? Wont the scorpion run away and hide from the light if it harms them? I know when I shine my LED pocket light at one of the scorpions they get riled up and run away from it.
"Purple light" is not the same as UV-light, this has to do with wavelenghts. It is known that prolonged exposure to UV-light is detrimental to scorpions.
Scorpions are photophobic, so their normal response is to run away, hide from lightsources, that's why they are nocturnal....
I don't know if that "night glow" lamp emits UV-light, you should find that out, on internet, manufacturer etc etc....

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Take a look at the box it came out of. Check to see if there's any written information about UV. If you don't have the box, google the bulb's name and see if it has UV. I think I used one of those bulbs a long time ago and I can't remember much about it, but I don't think they are UV bulbs. It's just a bulb that's coated to look like it's a "night-glo" kind of bulb lol. I'm sure it's fine to use, but I do remember my scorpions not being very fond of the blue lighting.

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That's why I am asking I've read that it does and doesn't contain UV. I get mixed results

It says it simulates moonlight nothing abouy uv plus you can't believe the box all the time lol

He doesn't run away from the light when its on he's somewhat active with it on lol

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I took the exo terra lamp off the enclosure and just use my IR 50w bulb on a lamp that sits about 6" above the lid, I have rearranged the room to when the IR light is on it doesnt bother me even when it is on at night.

Last night the baby emp came out of its burrow with the night-glo on and was walking around, it had a slight glow to it, but it stayed under the shade of my fake plants for the most part. If it was bad for it, it would just run back into the hide wouldnt it?

I am pretty sure the night-glo is fine, but better safe then sorry. I used the night-glo bulb for about 2 weeks, so I hope its all good lol.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You'll wanna use IR, took me a while to get back to this topic. However, I've had emperors with the Night Glo bulb and they were fine, in fact, they came out just as much. Then again, think its just painted black/purple, and its UV. Dont know, the IR bulbs are the best and my favorites.

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah I think it might be a UV bulb painted so it doesnt produce 'as much' thats why people are saying its safe to a point

what kind of bulbs dont have UV? Just IR?

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah I think it might be a UV bulb painted so it doesnt produce 'as much' thats why people are saying its safe to a point

what kind of bulbs dont have UV? Just IR?
sold in common stores? yes

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
So having the scorpion enclosure in a room with the light on or near a window is bad then??? :eek:

My desert scorpion comes out all the time, no matter the time, hes digging in the sand right now lol

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So having the scorpion enclosure in a room with the light on or near a window is bad then??? :eek:

My desert scorpion comes out all the time, no matter the time, hes digging in the sand right now lol
no... using a UV bulb when you can use an IR bulb is whats silly.

plus you can look up stuff beyond what was covered here, some feel UV harms them, I wouldnt know. All I know is they wont want bright UV all day and night, and its good to give them the day/night cycle

scorpguy

Arachnopeon
Here is what I found on the eco-terra night glo bulbs. My understanding is that they us an incandescent bulb with a purple/blue glass coating that is meant to stimulate moonlight. Although it doesn’t say anything on the box about UV rays I wanted to be sure, because like the rest of you that have used these, my scorpions glow while the light is on. I’ve been using the bulb as a heat source 24/7 for about two months and my scorps seem pretty active with it on. I found this chart on the exo-terra website and posted the link where I found it in case the rest of you want to check it out for yourselves. According to this, the night glo bulbs do not produce UVA or UVB light. I my opinion, even though the scorps glow it should be fine. What do you guys think?

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/lighting.php

Attachments

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wow that clears up a bunch thanks!

I packed up my exo terra lamp and night glo bulb a few weeks ago when I got a IR bulb in my lamp the other week, so I have been using that 24 hours a day to heat my enclosures.

I really wish that the heat-glo bulbs came in the same size as those 25w night-glo tubes, then the exo terra lamp wouldnt be a waste lol

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Guys,

scorpions are nocturnal. In their habitats they are active on moonless nights....Doesn't anybody read books anymore :D:D
Throw aways these crap things or at least stop talking about those moonlights....Is this thread STILL alive :rolleyes::D

Rob, good that you are only using that IR light now....

scorpguy

Arachnopeon
Guys,

scorpions are nocturnal. In their habitats they are active on moonless nights....Doesn't anybody read books anymore :D:D
Throw aways these crap things or at least stop talking about those moonlights....Is this thread STILL alive :rolleyes::D

Rob, good that you are only using that IR light now....
Michiel,
In terms of disrupting the scorpions day/night cycle, wouldn’t IR lights or ordinary red bulbs be just as bad? IR lights also emit light that is outside the IR spectrum and in the visible range. This is obvious just by looking at an IR light. When the IR bulb is turned on it produces light that we humans can see. Humans can’t see IR so therefore some of the light they produce is not IR. Wouldn’t this visible light have the same affect on scorpions as the light from any other non UV bulb that produces light in the visible spectrum? If things should be absolutely moonless for scorpions then it would seem that the only effective heating devices are those that don’t emit any light at all like heat pads, ceramic heat emitters and heat cables.

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Michiel,
In terms of disrupting the scorpions day/night cycle, wouldn’t IR lights or ordinary red bulbs be just as bad? IR lights also emit light that is outside the IR spectrum and in the visible range. This is obvious just by looking at an IR light. When the IR bulb is turned on it produces light that we humans can see. Humans can’t see IR so therefore some of the light they produce is not IR. Wouldn’t this visible light have the same affect on scorpions as the light from any other non UV bulb that produces light in the visible spectrum? If things should be absolutely moonless for scorpions then it would seem that the only effective heating devices are those that don’t emit any light at all like heat pads, ceramic heat emitters and heat cables.
Scorpions cant see the light that a IR produces, so it would never know it was on except for the fact there is heat radiating from somewhere. I leave my IR on 24 hours a day and I open my window for the live plants I have inside the enclosure, so mine do a get a day/night times.

From what I was told they know when its day/night from temperature fluctuation, as it gets colder during the night time, and warmer in the day time.