Hi everyone I'm new too the arachnoboards and I would just like to tell you my collection

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I did tell them but they said if I ever touched it they would give it to someone experienced I promise and on my life that I wouldn't touch it
It's not about you touching the spider, it's about the spider touching you. They are much faster than any human; they can be out of the enclosure and on your arm much faster than you can react. If this happens to experienced keepers, it can happen to you.

This is not an advanced species. It is one of the most advanced species. Extremely potent venom, lightening fast, and very aggressive. Short of one other species (S. calceatum), I couldn't have chosen a worse species for a child to get.

Look, I'm not here to argue. Again, just be careful. Understand the gravity of the situation here. Best of luck to you.

Louise Nolan

Arachnopeon
It's not about you touching the spider, it's about the spider touching you. They are much faster than any human; they can be out of the enclosure and on your arm much faster than you can react. If this happens to experienced keepers, it can happen to you.

This is not an advanced species. It is one of the most advanced species. Extremely potent venom, lightening fast, and very aggressive. Short of one other species (S. calceatum), I couldn't have chosen a worse species for a child to get.

Look, I'm not here to argue. Again, just be careful. Understand the gravity of the situation here. Best of luck to you.
Thanks for your very true advice much appreciated I promise I don't mess around

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
I believe him. What you would do as a parent has no bearing on what other parents do.

Charlie, if you or your mum have questions, message me. I'm glad your uncle can help out.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I did tell them but they said if I ever touched it they would give it to someone experienced I promise and on my life that I wouldn't touch it

Not touching doesn't prevent escapes and bites, which should be a major concern to parents. Do they really know how fast some of those species are, and have they read bite reports? That adults have gone to the ER in the middle of the night? This isn't like getting a hermit crab.

Louise Nolan

Arachnopeon
Not touching doesn't prevent escapes and bites, which should be a major concern to parents. Do they really know how fast some of those species are, and have they read bite reports? That adults have gone to the ER in the middle of the night? This isn't like getting a hermit crab.
I know and they have seen them run

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Just leave it @Poec54 - it's either a kid or a troll. Either way, nothing we say really matters here.

This thread did give me my daily dose of dread, though... I'm sure you can relate. It terrifies me that this kid has such potent spiders. I'm legitimately worried for him, forget the well being of the hobby.

Louise Nolan

Arachnopeon
Just leave it @Poec54 - it's either a kid or a troll. Either way, nothing we say really matters here.

This thread did give me my daily dose of dread, though... I'm sure you can relate. It terrifies me that this kid has such potent spiders. I'm legitimately worried for him, forget the well being of the hobby.
I know it sounds unbelievable but I promise this is not a troll I'll send some photos tommorow

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
You all do realize that basically jumping on him with replies like "aaaaah, I'm a parent and i'd never let my kid have one of those species", "oh my god you might go to the hospital if one bit you" and all of that would only cause him to work with them and fear the worst (shaking and jumping at every move your spider makes definitely won't help him, will it? much higher chance of choking and getting tagged), which is way worse than being calm, especially with animals like arachnids? You're doing him much more harm than good, you're not giving ANY helpful advice whatsoever. He already has them, no need to force the issue and make him uncomfortable in the forum, give some helpful tips, don't take the moral high ground and start telling him what YOU would do.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You all do realize that basically jumping on him with replies like "aaaaah, I'm a parent and i'd never let my kid have one of those species", "oh my god you might go to the hospital if one bit you" and all of that would only cause him to work with them and fear the worst (shaking and jumping at every move your spider makes definitely won't help him, will it? much higher chance of choking and getting tagged), which is way worse than being calm, especially with animals like arachnids? You're doing him much more harm than good, you're not giving ANY helpful advice whatsoever. He already has them, no need to force the issue and make him uncomfortable in the forum, give some helpful tips, don't take the moral high ground and start telling him what YOU would do.
He should be scared of these spiders. No one on here is berating him, not even close. The vast majority of posts are warnings about these spiders, which is absolutely needed advice. He's done research, and I assume he knows how to care for them. None of them are particularly difficult to care for - the only concern here is experience, and no advice in the world will substitute that.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Its pretty much harassment at this point. He got it after the second reply which contained the same information with jumbled words.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
What's up Charlie? Listen bud if you really are an ankle biter you need to listen to ALL the advice we are giving you.. I have two brats around your age and they have some pretty wild pets also.. I tell them the same thing your mom and uncle tell you..So make sure you NEVER open the cage with out them around! EVER!

Don't be scared by what some people are saying to you they are just trying to make sure you stay safe. Keep coming here and ask questions.. As many as you need.. You should also encourage your mother and uncle to stop in also!

I was a crazy kid at your age also and people gave my dad all kinds of crap for letting me have Burmese pythons,tarantulas crazy monitors etc.when I was about nine... He saw my passion and I think he recognized that it was something I needed to do.It's the same way that I look at my kids now handling a psychotic texas ratsnake on a hook knowing they would lose the enthusiasm for the hobby if I only allowed them to keep crested geckos or cornsakes...

I'm guessing that your Mom and Uncle see that in you also.. You are very very lucky to have adults that trust your judgement and support your enthusiasm at such a young age..

It doesn't change the fact that you are working with species that can hurt you pretty bad.. I don't want to scare you at all but a bite from some of those Ts could make it so that you may not want to keep tarantulas any more.. Are you sure its worth it bud? There are a ton of less potent calmer slow moving species out there that you could be working with right now.. Why risk your passion at such a young age bud?

I highly doubt you are going to trade in your Ts for more beginner friendly species so please respect your mom and uncles rules, always use tonges( very long tweezers) to remove the water dish, bolus, dead feeders and never put your fingers in those enclosures for any reason!

I hope that members that comment on this thread in the future remeber that there is 50/50 chance that you are talking to a child.. Kids can be fragile please pick your words carefully..

Last edited:

Louise Nolan

Arachnopeon
Thanks so much

What's up Charlie? Listen bud if you really are an ankle biter you need to listen to ALL the advice we are giving you.. I have two brats around your age and they have some pretty wild pets also.. I tell them the same thing your mom and uncle tell you..So make sure you NEVER open the cage with out them around! EVER!

Don't be scared by what some people are saying to you they are just trying to make sure you stay safe. Keep coming here and ask questions.. As many as you need.. You should also encourage your mother and uncle to stop in also!

I was a crazy kid at your age also and people gave my dad all kinds of crap for letting me have Burmese pythons,tarantulas crazy monitors etc.when I was about nine... He saw my passion and I think he recognized that it was something I needed to do.It's the same way that I look at my kids now handling a psychotic texas ratsnake on a hook knowing they would lose the enthusiasm for the hobby if I only allowed them to keep crested geckos or cornsakes...

I'm guessing that your Mom and Uncle see that in you also.. You are very very lucky to have adults that trust your judgement and support your enthusiasm at such a young age..

It doesn't change the fact that you are working with species that can hurt you pretty bad.. I don't want to scare you at all but a bite from some of those Ts could make it so that you may not want to keep tarantulas any more.. Are you sure its worth it bud? There are a ton of less potent calmer slow moving species out there that you could be working with right now.. Why risk your passion at such a young age bud?

I highly doubt you are going to trade in your Ts for more beginner friendly species so please respect your mom and uncles rules, always use tonges( very long tweezers) to remove the water dish, bolus, dead feeders and never put your fingers in those enclosures for any reason!

I hope that members that comment on this thread in the future remeber that there is 50/50 chance that you are talking to a child.. Kids can be fragile please pick your words carefully..
Thanks so much I agree

They seen my passion to absolutely love them and I do have experience with boa constructors bearded dragons ect

My moms with me at all times when there fed
My mom calls me her little David Attenborough lollollollol

phillipthephiddipus

Arachnopeon
My mom only lets me have only new world species but any true spider is fine. Unless it's on the list of top 10 worst bites.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
arent you 21?
I'm 25 and my mom still gets down on me for some of the OW's I keep :bored: It's kind of their job to worry.

"You have a Phlogius?! Did you read the bite reports? It's from Australia!"

At least she bothers to remember the genera of what I keep...

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I'm 25 and my mom still gets down on me for some of the OW's I keep :bored: It's kind of their job to worry.

"You have a Phlogius?! Did you read the bite reports? It's from Australia!"

At least she bothers to remember the genera of what I keep...
lol just thought it was funny his mom doesn't let him keep OW and hes 21.