Hi, Everybody. Meet the 'family

PDX_Tarantulas

Arachnopeon
Hi. I've had tarantulas as pets for over 35 years and recently decided to start breeding. I'm starting small, with 5 wee spiderlings (4 B. Emilia and 1 B. Smithi) and I hope to add more as time goes on. I'm not a pro photographer and use a cheap camera, but I'm going to post a couple pics anyway. And I will have tons of questions as time goes on.

I hope the pictures post OK. This should be Spider E, a B. Emilia who looks about ready to molt. These pictures were taken last night.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

PDX_Tarantulas

Arachnopeon

Here is a picture of Spider A (above), a B. Emilia, taken 01-25-07, about 6 days after molting. A very handsome critter. Still less than 1 1/2" long.

Spider B (above), another B. Emilia, shot 01-24-07, just 4 days after molting. Again, a spiderling about 1 1/4" long, but very handsome.

Here is Spider C, a B. Smithi spiderling. The top picture, shot 01-27-07, just about 4 days after molting. Poor critter lost a hind leg during the molt. Kinda puny lookin', too.
The 2nd picture, taken 02-15-07, is the same critter after about 3 weeks of cramming crickets down as fast as he could. Doesn't look like the lost leg hurt his appetite! Hard to believe they are the same fellow. Cool! (These things don't explode, do they?)

This is Spider D, the top picure shot 01-28-07, just about 6 days before molting. It is also a B. Emilia. Didn't actually figure that out until after it molted.

The next picture was taken on 02/04/07, about 1/2 hour after molting. Still hadn't hardened the outer shell.

Spider E is well represented in the previous message.

This is the entire family for now. Some of them seem to be real camera hogs and almost seem happy to pose for the camera while others, especially Spider D, seem to be quite camera shy. That's OK, I'll catch him sometime.

Enjoy! PDX

Last edited:

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice pictures. I have 5/8" slings of the same types. Looking forward to when they start to show color.

PDX_Tarantulas

Arachnopeon
Spider B molted

Spider B molted last night (02/20/07) and is even better looking than before. Neat!

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Awwww... little emilias are just so cute! i need to get one or two myself, my last one turned male on me last summer :(

PDX_Tarantulas

Arachnopeon
Spider E Molted today 02-23-07

I got home from work today just in time to watch Spider E molt! Got a good sequence of skin shedding photos. Here are a couple. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Loaf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
NICE PICTURES!!! Good luck with your slings:clap:

PDX_Tarantulas

Arachnopeon
I've updated Spider C's page with a few new photos after she molted on 03/01/07. Her missing left rear hind leg came back just fine. After a couple more molts, you won't even be able to tell it was ever missing. Neat!

http://spiders.cdbpdx.com/SpC/