hi all! wanted share my excitement

seezilla

Arachnopeon
{D First of all, I am super new to the T hobby. I've been watching RobC's vids on youtube, reading every thing I can find including posts here. I've been lurking for the last three days, just trying to get a feel for things around here. I'm really glad I found this place.

So really, I'm just excited my (assumed) girl, g.Rosea Rozilla ate for the first time last night. :D I got her tuesday, got the some crickets wednesday, finished getting her exclosure set up with a hidey-hole and then put some crickets in her tank. No dice. I was bummed and bit nervous, as the guy I bought my T from said she would be hungry. She did finally eat one cricket last night, and I was way stoked this morning when I found the legs and such. Yay! I was a little bummed that I missed her tearing that cricket up, but I did get to watch my Tiger Oscar eat about four crickets the day before.

Anyway, my husband is getting into the hobby with me. He likes creepy-crawlies, but is more into reptiles and actually has a fear of spiders. So for him to get interested is really funny and great. I hope it helps him get over his fear.

I do have one question. I have not handled my T since the initial day (and I really didn't touch her much or even hold her at all as I figured she was stressed from the ride home, so I basically put her in her enclosure and have been gauging her reaction to me reaching in to touch her hind legs and it's been two days since I've gotten any aggressive reaction from her. How long should I wait until I handle her? Or is it just whenever she seems calm and I've got the guts to do it? LOL

Other than that, I'm waiting to see how well my Rozilla does before I get any more Ts. I've got my eye on at least four other species, including a PZB. My husband wants a green bottle blue and we both want a chaco golden knee. :D

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Grats on your first T and joining this group!

Great information and make sure to search and read the stickies as they contain wonderful amounts of information that can enlighten as well teach you all you need to know with your G. rosea now and like others before you the addiction that are Tarantulas in the future!

For handling you'll find varied opinions from those who handle most if not all of their collection to those who have a strict "hands off" policy with most if not only to move them to a new enclosure. Read up on the pro's and con's and make your own decision. While an occasional handling is NOT going to kill or hurt your pet, if done with proper setup and techniques, just remember it does NOT need nor really want the attention. You'll have to decide yourself how far and often to go.

Again read up on much of the information contained within these halls of knowledge as well abroad and if you fancy more of a traditional medium of reading be sure to pick up The Tarantula Keepers Guide by Stan Shultz who frequents these boards and I'm sure will give you a proper welcoming in due time as well. It's a great reference for both new and seasoned keepers and just an all around great thing to pickup and re-read over and over.

Welcome again and enjoy your journey!

seezilla

Arachnopeon
Thank you all. :)

I'm a big reader and I feel like I've already learned so much about these fascinating little guys, yet I know I don't know even half of what's out there. But I've been talking about Rozilla for the last three days at work, so I am sure I am driving people crazy. :p

I'm not sure if I will ever be able to handle her, because I'm way nervous of handling spiders anyway (which is funny because I totally had to have one LOL). But we'll see. I may get the guts or have to move her for whatever reason and find out that I am just being a pansy for no reason. Ha ha!

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
But I've been talking about Rozilla for the last three days at work, so I am sure I am driving people crazy. :p
Ha! My co-workers, around the world since I work virtually from home in many places during the day, all know when I'm talking about T's because they've heard so much already from me. It's amazing how you can easily dissolve long standing myth's about these creatures by just some simple reading and it really amazes people when you tell them. Most people out there, while squeemish to the site of spiders and such, really take a liking to me describing and teaching them about my T's and their care. It's a real kick and hoot to hear them telling others the information I may have told them a few days or months ago. :)

I'm not sure if I will ever be able to handle her, because I'm way nervous of handling spiders anyway (which is funny because I totally had to have one LOL). But we'll see. I may get the guts or have to move her for whatever reason and find out that I am just being a pansy for no reason. Ha ha!
Well here's the thing. Eventually you'll most likely have to handle one of your T's either by choice or forced by a re-housing gone bad or something of that nature. While we all hope for the best in some situations the best just doesn't happen and a spider gets loose while your feeding or crawls up your arm while clearing out debris from it's enclosure.

If you've never done it how will you react when you need to in the above or similar situations? Exactly. If you do a bit of handleing now and get the knowledge prior then you'll be a pro at reacting properly when those situations due arise. Sure once you've done it you can put the T's back in the enclosure and vow never to handle again but logic and Mr. Murphy state you'll most likely have to again some other time so learn now the proper ways.

You'll do fine. Your already quite ahead of many that come here seeking knowledge and asking questions about T's and their care without knowing anything, at least you've been pro-active in reading liberally and gaining knowledge which is all anyone could ever ask!

Cheers,

seezilla

Arachnopeon
Thank you! Hubby said research (he knows I'm a sponge and we both have an affinity for weird hobbies anyway lol) so I did. Plus, at the time he said he wasn't going to help me with any spider I decided to get, but said I could get one if I wanted. The rest is history.

I take great pains not to act all n00bish. :D So thank you.

Sodaboy1978

Arachnopeon
seezilla's husband

I joined also like seezilla been reading, and watching videos about these creatures. I have seen so many different T's, That if I didn't read up on em could have made a very bad mistake in getting one just because of how cool the markings look on em. But I am going to start with the docile one's like the Chaco golden knee and the B. Smithi's. I am sure their are some other awesome ones a newbee can start with.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Welcome to the hobby, the addiction and AB! :D

It's gonna be a fun ride!

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How fun to see another couple sharing the hobby! My husband and I do too. It's a fun way to spend time together, learning and researching, going to expos and such. Only problem we have is that neither of us have any control- 0 to 40 Ts in about six months. So, nice to meet you folks, and good luck!

tebs

Arachnopeon
Noob here as well.....well actually a few years ago I owned an Avic...a pink toe...i think it went well, molted and everything but then I got married....had to give away all my herps and bugs....but know I'm back! the wife says as long as the enclosures got padlocks we're good.....so yeah I'm on the hunt for my "first" T...would love a B. Smithie but theyre too pricey probably start with a rosea.....

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congrats! Like mentioned before, get some good tongs. Tong feeding is a rush until you get used to it. But even then it's still fun. My A geniculata almost pulled the tongs out of my hand last time I gave her a roach. It was awesome!

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
Hey seezilla, great to see you are enjoying your new pet. RobC is selling a Chaco Golden Knee on his Youtube site store. I was gonna buy it from him but other things came up. Maybe you should check into it. It's a nice looking T and healthy.

seezilla

Arachnopeon
Thank You all for the warm welcome. I'm already adding several new species to my wishlist. Seeing all the beautiful Ts everyone has, it's making me want more. Whoever said this hobby was addictive, well I think that's the understatement of the year! lol {D

Oh and DawgPoundSound, I saw that chaco on Rob's page and I would love to buy now, but I'm waiting to see how well my rosea does first. I'm sure she will be fine. She's perked up in the last two days and has eaten two crickets so far. She's been moving around her enclosure and seems to be adjusting well. I'm thinking I may try to handle her a bit so I can get some practice handling my T.

My hubby also picked up some feeding tongs and a couple of containers for some slings as the exotic pet store in town will have some PZB slings in a month or two. I'm freaking stoked about that! I didn't get to see the female and her sac because they had just taken all the Ts to an exhibit in Houston, but the clerk took down my number to call me whenever the slings become available.

Once again, thank you all for the advice and words of welcome. You all are awesome!

Maxrpm

Arachnopeon
Welcome to this fascinating and addictive world of tarantula's!!!

My wife and I got our very first T last February and have since gotten our collection up to 9. Next weekend we are going to an expo hoping to pick up another 6 - 10. lol

Anyway this place is full of information so lurk around and you will be more knowledgeable about tarantula's in no time.

Also like stated before pick up the book The Tarantula Keepers Guide by Stanley and Marguerite Schultz. I have both the first and second editions. Very informal for those like me just starting out in the hobby..

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Advice

Thank You all for the warm welcome. I'm already adding several new species to my wishlist. Seeing all the beautiful Ts everyone has, it's making me want more. Whoever said this hobby was addictive, well I think that's the understatement of the year! lol {D

Oh and DawgPoundSound, I saw that chaco on Rob's page and I would love to buy now, but I'm waiting to see how well my rosea does first. I'm sure she will be fine. She's perked up in the last two days and has eaten two crickets so far. She's been moving around her enclosure and seems to be adjusting well. I'm thinking I may try to handle her a bit so I can get some practice handling my T.

My hubby also picked up some feeding tongs and a couple of containers for some slings as the exotic pet store in town will have some PZB slings in a month or two. I'm freaking stoked about that! I didn't get to see the female and her sac because they had just taken all the Ts to an exhibit in Houston, but the clerk took down my number to call me whenever the slings become available.

Once again, thank you all for the advice and words of welcome. You all are awesome!

I don't know if you aware of the dangers of handling a T (Perhaps you do! If so, awesome! But just in case...)

Hold ANY T as close to the ground or a bed as possible. Be careful not to breath on them as well. It may behoove you to make sure anywhere they could run away to is not accessible (under furniture, etc) Most of all, just make sure it doesn't fall. You could hold a T 1000 times before and feel secure in holding it, then a small gust of wind brushes it and it could jump to its death.

Anyways, hope that gives some pointers if you make the decision to hold your' Ts. I don't hold mine anymore unless they are getting out of the tank during maintenance. My A metallica LOVES to make a slow escape when I'm cleaning. It's too cute!

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice to see some newbs that have the common sense to know what they don't know for once. Nice change of pace. Welcome to the hobby.

When you decide to get your second spider, I suggest A.versicolor. Pretty much anything in the Avicularia genus will be good, and versi's are really pretty.:D

Saf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Welcome, and congrats on your new T. :)

I don't have an outright opinion either way on the 'handling debate'. Each to their own. I've been very tempted to hold my sweet little thing on a few occasions, but in the end, I held firm to my initial decision to just leave her alone to live as close to a 'natural' existence in captivity as possible. That way, I know that no accidents can happen to risk her getting injured or lost.

My husband wants a green bottle blue and we both want a chaco golden knee. :D
I must commend the choice of Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (GBB), but then, you could say I'm extremely biased in that regard. ;)

Good luck, whatever ones you end up going for. Enjoy your T's. :)

Sodaboy1978

Arachnopeon
Nice to see some newbs that have the common sense to know what they don't know for once. Nice change of pace. Welcome to the hobby.

When you decide to get your second spider, I suggest A.versicolor. Pretty much anything in the Avicularia genus will be good, and versi's are really pretty.:D
We did I bought a A.versicolor .5in from kenthebugguy should be arriving Wed. Probably be asking a bunch a questions as it is a baby as the day's go. I am going to buy fruit fly's and small crickets. I have a critter keeper but I think that may be to big for it. I also bought a 1cup twist top glad plastic thing and put small holes in the lid already. I was looking at the pill bottles that people have in their videos but I don't know where to get those at. Other than that can't wait to see my new T.