Hi all, got my first T, a t. albopilosus, but I am concerned

Jordan Peralta

Arachnopeon
I got her from the Pet store yesterday, and she's around 1cm. I rehoused her when I got home, and she was walking around the outsides of the enclosure exploring, and she ate 2 prekilled pinhead crickets. I woke up today to find her extremely sluggish and not responding much at all. Eventually she moved and ran under her hide but since it's my first T I am worried about her.

She's in a properly ventilated small plastic enclosure, about 5cmx5cmx5cm. Could she be getting ready to moult? She was hiding under some spaghnum moss. I also noticed under her abdomen to small white lumps, symmetrical to one another, just curious what those are?

Hopefully someone will be able to put my mind at ease

Is the enclosure still too large? Should I rehome her back into the small tube she can in? She seemed comfortable in there as she made burrows

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
The enclosure size sounds fine.

The two "lumps" are their book lungs. They actually have two pairs of those.

It's probably just still adapting to the new enviorment. Even when it adapts it will sit still most of the time. Dont expect it to be active most of the time. It will most likely burrow itself at one point and you may rarely see it at all.

Everything sounds like a normal T behaviour

Just leave it alone and observe without interfering :)

Jordan Peralta

Arachnopeon
The enclosure size sounds fine.

The two "lumps" are their book lungs. They actually have two pairs of those.

It's probably just still adapting to the new enviorment. Even when it adapts it will sit still most of the time. Dont expect it to be active most of the time. It will most likely burrow itself at one point and you may rarely see it at all.

Everything sounds like a normal T behaviour

Just leave it alone and observe without interfering :)
Thank you! That's put me at ease, and I shall leave her be

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Can you post pictures of the enclosure and the tarantula. It all sounds normal and okay but without photos there not much certainty we can truly give

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I got her from the Pet store yesterday, and she's around 1cm. I rehoused her when I got home, and she was walking around the outsides of the enclosure exploring, and she ate 2 prekilled pinhead crickets. I woke up today to find her extremely sluggish and not responding much at all. Eventually she moved and ran under her hide but since it's my first T I am worried about her.

She's in a properly ventilated small plastic enclosure, about 5cmx5cmx5cm. Could she be getting ready to moult? She was hiding under some spaghnum moss. I also noticed under her abdomen to small white lumps, symmetrical to one another, just curious what those are?

Hopefully someone will be able to put my mind at ease
Book lungs- next time provide a pic, makes it easier to read your mind.

Jordan Peralta

Arachnopeon
Can you post pictures of the enclosure and the tarantula. It all sounds normal and okay but without photos there not much certainty we can truly give
Very true, my apologies. I will provide pics soon. She's livened up now, and since this is the second day I've had her, I think she was just adapting to the new enclosure

Hi
tarantulas are very good at doing nothing and will do it most of the time.
Try to resist the urge to poke it or disturb it unnecessary to provoke reaction.
This hobby will teach you patience.
Regards Konstantin

Kaqpewqt

Arachnopeon
Dont worry about it so much. Ts don’t really do that much, and as others already stated, shes probably adapting to her new environment.

Give her time and don’t read too much into her behavior, especially if you dont know what normal t behavior is and what isn’t. The worst you can do is stress her out, poke her to see a reaction/ see her behavior.

Do your best, be patient, don’t stress her out too much and she will be alright