hey raveness (and other bedabeast users)

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey in a post you mentioned that you use beadabeast as a substrate for your usambara. So, i was wondering how much i need to break off and saturize from the brick. i have a terrarium that is 16x8x10 and want to have 5 inches. If this is too out of your way, ill just expieriment.

im just not sure how much is produced when you wet this stuff

thanks

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just throw it in a bucket and add water

I just throw the brick in a bucket and fill it with water and use what I need....and then I store the rest...those bricks are too hard to break I think....heh heh....

The Spider Hunter

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I get it soaking wet sometimes and wait a few days or a week and it will be dry and break apart pretty easy. It took me like 2 hours to break little pieces off of it dry.

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so after i add the water on the stuff expands, how long to i have to leav it out to dry? after it i dry, i have to break the stuff up so it becomes "like" soil?....interesting stuff

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It only takes half an hour before its ready to use. And even with my Usambars I don't get it totally dry, I nuke it to warm it up a little and just let it dry after I have put it in their cages. Hope that helps!

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Paladin
hey in a post you mentioned that you use beadabeast as a substrate for your usambara. So, i was wondering how much i need to break off and saturize from the brick. i have a terrarium that is 16x8x10 and want to have 5 inches. If this is too out of your way, ill just expieriment.

im just not sure how much is produced when you wet this stuff

thanks
I use forest bed for all my inverts, I use so much of the stuff that I was buying the large economy size. there is no easy way to get pieces off from it, I tried using an axe to split chunks off, I used a sawsall....nothing was easy. I gave my parents a new electric carving knife for Christmas and I am going to see if I can get their old carving knife and try that out. when I was using the brick size I would just throw the whole thing in a bucket with a gallon or so of hot water. I would wring the excess water out with my hand and use it straight away, any leftover I would leave in the bucket tightly sealed. the stuff can get a bit smelly if you leave it wet and warm........
Ed