Hey new scorps

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey guys, just got 2 new scorps and I didn't even have to buy them. My brothers boss(which I don't even know) gave him some scorps to give to me because his female gave birth awhile ago and he knew I liked scorpions and tarantulas and such because my bro. told him. Anyways, they are about 3I maybe 4I. I believe they are a heterometrus sp. Looking at my heterometrus spinifer scorpion at 4I, they look exactly alike. Ill post pics up in a few. One question I have though is, does P.imperator have white tip tails as scorplings like heterometrus? Thanks.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my H.spinifer are 12 to 14 and they do not have white telsons.. I believe P.imperator do have them.. I dont know about white but they are not black.

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh not the whole tail, just the tip part with the stinger, is it called a telson?

my H.spinifer are 12 to 14 and they do not have white tails.. I believe P.imperator do have them.. I dont know about white but they are not black.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah sorry thats what I meant.. my H.spinifer have black telsons, they never had white telsons either. I'm guessing yours have the white telsons?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ya even the one that was sold to me as H. spinifer has a white telson. Ill get some pics right now.

Oh and I put the lil scorps together with the one I already had and they all seem fine together, Ill watch em like a hawk though.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
interesting.. well I am pretty sure mine are actually spinifers! so I would definately like to see the pics.. there are shots of mine in my pic thread.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ill check those pics out

Here are two craapppyyy pics.

The middle and left one on the first pic are the new ones.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well perhaps another Heterometrus sp.? was the person you bought the "spinifer" from a knowledgable source?

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hopefully Mr Carnell will drop by and can sort this out for us or one of the other knowledgable Heterometrus/Pandinus folks.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah I dont think George will be coming by. but thats cool if they are Pandinus imperator. at least you have 3 of them and they are fine to live together.:D

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have very little experience with baby scorps but I have 3 baby emps right now and they really look allot like that, with the white telson. The pic of them is in the ...Post molt thread I started...... ahhh I'll just post the pic here to see if it can help any, but they are not close-ups.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ya I really believe I have 3 emps. So, now the question, I had adult emps before, but how long does it take the babies to grow to adults? I know, I know, there is no for sure answer, but just an estimate, with around 75F heating and high humidity with feeding a couple times a week.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I took the first pic of one I have in Sept of 2005. Pretty sure it was born in May 2005. I just took a recent pic of the same scorp ....just a few minutes ago. That's it in the second pic. My best guess to the age of this scorp to the month is 1 year and 8 months. So I'd say 2 years, more or less. I think I've read that before too. I think this one might go adult with the next molt:? .

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow thats impressive, Looks like I have some waiting to do. Oh well I can wait it out, did you power feed it?

SOAD

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As far as i know if it has black telson then its laoticus not spinifer. And spinifer youngs may have a white telson. IMO they are spinifers... George help us here!!

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Color is not a reliable way to ID heterometrus species. I usually look at the granulation on the carapace and the distinct shape of the chela.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow thats impressive, Looks like I have some waiting to do. Oh well I can wait it out, did you power feed it?
No, I really didn't feed it allot. I kind of like the "moderation" idea. But every once in a while, I do give it a really big roach or grasshopper instead of crix. Hey couldn't you get your bro to ask his boss what kind of scorp the mother is? I'm betting an Emp. They're probably Emps on statistics alone. Other Heterometrus aren't as available but hope you get surprised. I'm curious so would you let us know when you find out?