Hey haven't been around for a while, got a pokie question

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My boss at work gave me a large glass olive jar from work, so of course i have to make a home for a tarantula in it.

my first thought is to get a indian ornamental so i have a few questions. i'm not sure the jar is a full gallon, but reasonably close. is that plenty big enough for a pokie (dunno how active they are). second how could i get water to the spider without splattering the inside of the jar and making
water spots everywhere?

also if a pokie is too big, do i have any other options for aboreals (preferably ones that don't web much)?

Feathers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just my preference, but I like a front and top access for good sized arboreals and I pretty much only use the front access. I wouldn't be too crazy doing maintenance through the top of a one gallon jar (or would I?).

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
I personally wouldn't put any thing other than an avic in a jar like that.... I think full grown pokies might be a bit too big for it.

As for water, just glue a condiment cup high on the side, and put another one in that for a removable water dish.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I wouldn't use it for a pokie, either. I would, however, use it for an avic. For pokies I prefer to use a 10 gallon aquarium placed on end.

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I use that exact size for my pokie slings, but they're fairly fast growers, so expect to move the bug within a year.

I use water that has had reverse osmosis treatment, so no spots. (no irons, minerals in the water) Water boiled in a kettle is similar. :)

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
For a young pokie it'd be perfect, but it'd need to be rehoused.. an adult couldn't live in there. I have a large spiderling Heteroscodra maculata living in one, and a juvenile Stromatopelma calceatum. Both will need rehousing when they're bigger. I kept my Poecilotheria ornata in a jar as a spiderling, and is now living in a approx 18" long tank. (It's a large, shallow faunarium on its end!) Probably will live in a 5l cereal container as an adult . These work well for pokies and adult arboreals :)