Hey guys, there's a "friendly pink toed tarantula" available!

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/pet/6149231503.html

Posts like this just make me :rofl:

-T on face, because of course that's what you do with them
-It is "handled regularly" because that's how you keep them gentle and bond with them
-Had to make room for another pet...mighty enormous space requirements for the A. avic.

The only good thing about this listing is the fact that someone who knows something about tarantulas might adopt it and be less reckless with it.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I hope someone knowledgeable will adopt the poor T. :(

I remember a thread here a couple years back where someone had an 'affectionate' avic -- it would rub its rump on their hands/arms. :banghead:

Last edited:

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
Yeah, apparently even though I'm new to the hobby I'm already the spider guy around here. I've got a family wanting to give me this kids T because he won't "take care of it" and if he doesn't show responsibility by "taking care of it this week" then they're gonna give it to me for free...

I don't think they know what they're talking about as the spider is probably happy that it gets left alone. I'm also weirded out by the fact that they don't know what kind it is and they paid 100$ for stuff for it...lol, good news is that it's "handleable"...lolz.

Leila

Arachnobaron
Oh boy...the T on the face. :rofl:

Why? Can anyone explain to me why so many people place taratulas on their faces? That is the last place I want an animal that contains venom and/or urticating setae.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
At least it looks healthy. Wish people would give me free T's ;) Unfortunate that he had to handle it, he'll get that T killed one day. Either thrown off in pain or too long of a jump, it will happen eventually if he truly does handle it "regularly". Although, I don't doubt people here will nab that beautiful Avic from him and give it a proper home :D

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Why? Can anyone explain to me why so many people place taratulas on their faces? That is the last place I want an animal that contains venom and/or urticating setae.
Because its flashy, to dominate mans greatest fear, spiders

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes. Reminds me of a post I made a while back. Bear Grylls was posing for a picture with a 'highly dangerous tarantula' on his face, looking all tough.
Yeah, the T was a B.auratum.Very dangerous indeed.....:shifty:
Yeah, better watch out for that mechanical damage.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Poor Avic. If I lived in that area, I would come get it and provide a proper home, where it would be regularly left alone.

I remember a thread here a couple years back where someone had an 'affectionate' avic -- it would rub its rump on their hands/arms. :banghead:
The previous owner of the Avicularia avicularia that my mother gave me for my birthday apparently told my mother that "it likes to be petted." Mom seemed kind of disappointed that I did not continue petting it, as if it would hurt the tarantula's feelings or make it less social.

I'm guessing that the previous owner of my Avic mistook rubbing its abdomen against her as a sign of affection, when it in fact means, "I perceive you as a threat. I hope you itch for days as punishment for your insolence."

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I'm guessing that the previous owner of my Avic mistook rubbing its abdomen against her as a sign of affection, when it in fact means, "I perceive you as a threat. I hope you itch for days as punishment for your insolence."
You got it!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
You got it!
For a long time I was mystified as to how the previous owner could conclude that her tarantula liked being petted. Then I read about how Avics rub their abdomens against things to shed urticating hairs, and it clicked.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
For a long time I was mystified as to how the previous owner could conclude that her tarantula liked being petted. Then I read about how Avics rub their abdomens against things to shed urticating hairs, and it clicked.
How many times I've seen a keeper postimg a video on YouTube, about handling an Avic and squeeing 'daaawwwww, look, he's being cuddly!!'
:shifty:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter

Why? Can anyone explain to me why so many people place taratulas on their faces?
They're attention seekers. If nobody was going to see it, they wouldn't do it. That's my working theory, anyway.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
For what it's worth, I picked up the aforementioned pink toe earlier today. It's enclosure setup was much more suited to a terrestrial versus an arboreal, but it wasn't awful. The handling of the tarantula was pretty atrocious though. It's gotta be incredibly tolerant to deal with being grabbed like it was. But you can rest assured knowing that it's in a much more appropriate enclosure now and it will never be handled as roughly as it was in it's old home.

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For what it's worth, I picked up the aforementioned pink toe earlier today. It's enclosure setup was much more suited to a terrestrial versus an arboreal, but it wasn't awful. The handling of the tarantula was pretty atrocious though. It's gotta be incredibly tolerant to deal with being grabbed like it was. But you can rest assured knowing that it's in a much more appropriate enclosure now and it will never be handled as roughly as it was in it's old home.
Bravo man, a rescue.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks. It's in pretty decent shape. It's got a bit of a short patch of hair from rubbing it's hairs on the owner and her kids, but there's no baldness at least.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Awesome! Glad it's in good hands now.