Hey everyone, im new so of course i have a few noob questions.

BigNick

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone, just wanted to get a first post in, introduce myself, ya know.

Well, names Nick, 20, currently in college for biology, tho recently i believe i may be leaning toward something more specifically invertebrate related. I've just gotten my first Ts as of 5 days ago. I named her Lily:} ,shes a Grammastola rosea....well, the pet store guy said he believes its a female, but that he couldnt be sure without a molt(and he did seem incredibly knowledgeable).

I've been reading through all of the post for about the last 2 weeks straight learning all i can. I just want to thank you all so much for sharing all of your knowledge. The one thing i couldn't really find anywhere was descriptions of why Ts exhibit certain behavior.

Ok, well I just have 2 questions to start off. First, i made her a burrow/hide but she does not appear to have any intention on using it. Anyone have any ideas why? and second, I've noticed that she will sit there and move her chelicerae(if thats what the fang covering things are called) up and down for about 10 minutes every night, sometimes moving her pedipalps or legs to her mouth area....dunno what shes doin. anyone have any ideas? i thought maybe grooming. Hmm...seems like a lot for a first post, tho i want to ask 1000s of other questions, i guess i should stop. Thanx for all the help u all have already given thru your posts.

a few pics of my Lily:

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats on your first T and welcome to the boards. It usually takes a T awhile before they get comfy with their new "home" so to speak so don't worry about her not using her new burrow that you made for her. My G.rosea's never burrowed...and by the sounds of it..yes she is grooming herself. Usually after my T's have eaten they will mess around with their fangs...so what your T is doing is quite normal.

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats on your First T Again~ And welcome to the Hobby...More than likely from what I can gather, You're Rosy doesnt want to use the hide because she's most likely settling in to her new home. I have a 5" female who NEVER uses her hide, but rather just cruises auround and finds some spot in her tank to be comfortable...The second portion of this I would agree that she's probably grooming herself...nothing to be worried about!!
Congrats again and good Luck~

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i have a grammostla pulchra that is overly clean as well - she grooms herself neraly every day. so don't worry, your rosea is behaving normally. none of my grammostolas use their hides except for molting, so again, normal.

welcome to the hobby and have fun! :D

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
welcome to the wonderful world of T's
pretty soon you'll be asking about what T to get next:)
i've had my rosea for about 2 years now and she has only gone in her hide twice that i have seen. they are more likely to sit on top of the hide rather than in it
also you might want to add a bit more substrate to protect from a fall.
enjoy

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
also you might want to add a bit more substrate to protect from a fall.
Try a LOT more. OP, you need to pile the dirt high enough that the distance from dirt to ceiling is roughly equal to the T's legspan. (One of the reasons why that tank is really too huge anyway--it'll take you a TON of dirt to get the whole thing safe, and your T would thrive most excellently in a critter keeper about half that size.)

We've had multiple threads in just the last few months of people whose Ts died from falls, let's not have another. :( They basically crack like an egg, even from minor falls onto dirt, and there's absolutely nothing you can do once that happens.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah i agree, its grooming itself. from what i can see it looks like a female though a top and bottom view would help a bit to confirm. as far as the substrate goes...again im the black sheep on this subject as i dont fill up the entire enclosure like most people do...and ive never had a problem. im not recomending anyone else follow my footsteps...god knows i dont want to be responsible for somebodys "arboreal rosehair" falling to its death. just stating that ive never had any problems PERSONALLY. :D beautiful spider either way and welcome to the boards!

p.s. give her a little while...she probly just settling in...she will eventually start to use her hide. mine does the same thing everytime i change her substrate.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Welcome to the boards and I agree with the adding substrate suggestion, your rosea has good size and to help prevent a fall especially how fatal falls can be one they get to a good size, add some substrate to minimize height while adding somewhat of a cushion. Yours is very beautiful! I'm loving the carapace, congrats on having your first T and welcome once again to the boards..:D

BigNick

Arachnopeon
Well, thank you all for your replies and being so kind. she seems to be doing pretty well, finally got all of the current substrate dry so shes wandering around a bit more now. i figured i would need more substrate, but im using Ecoearth(the coconut shaving stuff) and it seems to take forever to dry....but once its done ill add more.

i had a few more questions i was hoping you all could answer.

ok first...she hasnt eaten since i got her, and from the other threads i gather that its rather normal. however, last night there was a cricket about 2 inches from her and when she lunged for it, it got away, this happen another time about 10 minutes later. im not sure if shes captive or wild caught, but if shes captive bred could she just be used to pre-killed food? should i try removing the crickets hind legs?....

also, the pet store guy explained to me how to hold her and get her into my hand. i read the thread newbie thread about handling Ts and i was just wondering if there was any reason ud want to hold them on back of your hand as opposed to the palm?

u all post how large ur T is....from where to where do u measure this? front legs to back? her abdomen to the front of her actual body?

and one last question...do Ts have tiny hooks on the ends of their legs...i can feel little pick-ish like things when shes climbing me, and is this what allows them to climb the glass?

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, thank you all for your replies and being so kind. she seems to be doing pretty well, finally got all of the current substrate dry so shes wandering around a bit more now. i figured i would need more substrate, but im using Ecoearth(the coconut shaving stuff) and it seems to take forever to dry....but once its done ill add more.

ok first...she hasnt eaten since i got her, and from the other threads i gather that its rather normal. however, last night there was a cricket about 2 inches from her and when she lunged for it, it got away, this happen another time about 10 minutes later. im not sure if shes captive or wild caught, but if shes captive bred could she just be used to pre-killed food? should i try removing the crickets hind legs?....

also, the pet store guy explained to me how to hold her and get her into my hand. i read the thread newbie thread about handling Ts and i was just wondering if there was any reason ud want to hold them on back of your hand as opposed to the palm?

u all post how large ur T is....from where to where do u measure this? front legs to back? her abdomen to the front of her actual body?

and one last question...do Ts have tiny hooks on the ends of their legs...i can feel little pick-ish like things when shes climbing me, and is this what allows them to climb the glass?

Glad to hear you are adding more substrate. To answer your questions and give some of my suggestions I think your rosie can handle any size cricket as she is big enough to handle them. Give her time to settle and then she'll decide to eat. As for measuring the T, some users measure from the first leg to the last leg on the same side and post that as their T's legspan. Finally, T's do have those hooks you are talking about. They do help them climb and grasp onto things. As for glass grip with it, I'm unsure but I'm sure someone can chime in with some light on this. Don't panic about the eating situation! Give her a week to settle and get comfy, if she's not settled in a week or two(and hopefully eat) then we'll have to rethink things. Enjoy your T! :D

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

yeah id go ahead and tear the crix. hind legs off. most likely she is Wild Caught. as G.Rosea grow INCREDIBLY slow. and its frankly cheaper to import WC spicimens than to raise CB slings. as far as holding it...im on the opposition side to holding them at all. it stresses them out and i dont really get any enjoyment out of it either. mine are all there for aesthetic purposes only. but...if you must hold it really doesnt make a difference which side of your hand you use. and for measuring ..its total legspan. hope this helps! :D

ironmonkey78

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
welcome to the hobby. its fun to see another one get sucked into the " poor man maker" that is called the hobby. Ha HA HA HA HA. (evil laugh). kidding.
I dont think theres any other addiction that you could get this much enjoyment out of.
not legally anyway.

BigNick

Arachnopeon
thanks for all the help you guys.

shes started kinda using her hide now, so it might be more difficult to add more substrate without upsetting her....but u gotta do what u gotta do....hmm...still hasnt eaten. should i be leaving a live cricket in there at all times? or just putting one in for a little while like once or twice a week until she starts eating?

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Usually not a good idea to leave a cricket in there if she's not gonna eat it. One cricket might not be a problem, unless the spider is going to molt soon, and that's when you really dont want crix in there (they can nibble on the vulnerable spider and possibly even kill it!)

--leave it in there for a few hours, it *might* nail it when your back is turned (or they will wait untill dark before "hunting" for the cric.

once or twice a week sounds fine to me, any more and it's just gonna stress the T (it might sulk in its hiding spot for a few days) I know mine does!

1 or 2 crickets a week is plenty, and I'd only give more if she's molted recently (1 or 2 weeks after the molt -- they usually get their appetite back once their fangs have hardened)

And rosies are also known for not eating for long times (6 months to as much a 2 years!)
They are fine as long as they have a water dish to drink from. Mine went 6-8 months, where it didn't eat, except maybe 3 times that it actually wanted to eat)
I found out just how long full grown crickets can live! --Months of chirping!!! :lol)

--or the cricket will just die and get stinky in the cage,but before that it will be leaving cricket poop or even cricket eggs! (yech) which can sometimes hatch if there's enough moisture in the substrate, and then there will be dozens of tiny crix pestering the tarantula.

I think a Tarantula climbs glass using the soft fuzzy pads under their feet for some of the grip, and at least one species of tarantula also secretes silk from their foot pads as well.
(I think others must also do it, but it was just recently noticed with a certain species first). Kinda like adhesive foot sweat {D Except it make em sticky not stinky :)

When they are due for a molt, they will often have trouble climbing glass, as it's probably the old toes have lost their gripping ability. That's when they are most likely to fall as well, so keeping the substrate level high is even more important when they get like that.

Last edited:

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Once or twice a week is perfect. They are mostly nocturnal feeders, so throw one in at night. If it's still there in the morning pull it out. T's take a while to settle, but once she does she'll eat. Since she is a Rosie, and full grown, she won't be a voracious eater, a little bit goes a long way for her.

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi. welcome to the forums.
I have to say that er climbing the glass, and everywhere, is completely normal. i got miune a month ago, and it has just now started to settle down. :)

BTW, are you positive that that's a rosea? i got one that looks just like that, but i heard on a lot of sites that it's an Aphonopelma Pallidum. the pet store guy at my store was a complete loon. he didn't know the gender, scientific name, or nothin. he said it was called a rose-hair. i looked on the internet, and found out taht it was also called a rose grey. anyways, thx.

PS: Sorry if i'm hi-jacking the thread... {D :embarrassed:

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
rosies

rosies can vary quite a lot in behavior from time to time, sometimes theyre out moving around a lot, sometimes they sit in one spot and do nothing for a long time. Occasionally they might use a hide , other times not. No worry, shes just being a rosie. Nice T by the way. I dont know of any reason specifically to use the top-of-hand for letting the T sit on your hand, as opposed to letting her be in your palm, personal preference I guess. When I do handle my Ts, i nestle them in my palm. BTW, there are as many non-handlers as pro-handlers so its a touchy subject with much debate. Good luck with your rosie.

BigNick

Arachnopeon
well as for the question of if im sure its a rosie.....i believe it is....there were 2 guys at the pet store that said it was and one of which(the reptile room guy, JD) who seemed to be very knowledgeable...calling almost everything by its scientific name.....so as for that....i trust him....

but everything seems to be going really well...she ate today....well at least there was a cricket a few hours ago and its gone now....and shes slowly wandered into "her" hide...and i believe shes starting to stay in there a lot....i read of a few Ts pulling peat moss in front of their hides, and i was wondering is it would be wise to stick a lil patch if it in there in case she wants wants a lil more over.

Also are there any good websites that give descriptions of a Ts anatomy and internal systems and how they work....

Thanks for everything you guys:)
Nick

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
kk, thx. i had been identifying mine wrong for so long. glad to have this cleared up.
i never thought i liked the roseas, until i actually saw one (mine). they're pretty. :) anyways, have fun on the forums!