• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Heteroscodra maculata

esmoot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Success!!!! We ended up with 80 some slings.

I had a WC female about 4.5". I had bought her a few months prior. I fed her normally and kept her at about 80 degrees during the day and mid-seventies during the night. She had not molted in my care but since a male was available I decided to give it a try.

The male that was sent to me was quite old as males go, probably at least 6-8 months mature. When he arrived I gave him some time to eat and calm down then placed him in the female's home in the evening. I did not observe a mating and took him out after a few hours. I then waited a few days until he built a sperm web and then placed him with the female one more time. I left him in overnight but did not witness a mating.

The male was an older one so I had wondered if he was sterile and was not concerned about leaving him in with the female for that reason. In the morning he was eaten by female.

I never saw them mate but I continued to keep the female at elevated temps. Over the next 3 months she very slowly got fatter. It had been a long time but she had gotten pretty fat so I thought she still may produce an egg sack. She did make a small egg sack that she attached to the side of her web about 6" off the substrate. I don’t know if this sp. always produces a small egg sack or if it had anything to do with the fact that the male was an old one.

During the entire next 4 weeks she continued to care for her elevated egg sack. After about 4 weeks I took the sack, removed 4-5 un-hatched eggs and placed it in a hammock. There were nearly 90 some that had gone through their first molt in the sack. I had to leave the country for several weeks so I sent it to the owner of the male, Joel of SSW.

After all was said and done, Joel said 80 some had survived.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Successful

I purchased a pair of WC H maculata from Todd Gearheart on Jan 22, 2004. The male was mature, and the female was on the small side. I set them up in a 10 gallon aquarium together though, from the day they arrived. They had corkbark, and a ceramic log hide. From the start, the female took up residence at the base of the corkbark, and the male took over the ceramic log. I never saw them anywhere near each other. The female actually molted a couple months after I got them, and the male left her alone. She was quite a bit larger, and started eating very well.
At the end of July, I noticed the male was now a food bolus, and the female then moved into the ceramic log. She continued to eat well, and spent most of her time in her hide.
I checked on her weekly, and on 9/7/04, I discovered she had made an eggsac inside the log.
I pulled the sac on 10/13/04 and found approx 50-70 (I didn't count) 1st instars. There were probably 10 or so deformed slings, and about the same number of eggs that had not developed.

Attachments

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Successful.

I bred this species in the fall of 2003 and cooled the female for 2 months in the low 60's. The temps were raised into the low 70's in the spring of 2004 and a sac was made within weeks afterwards. I left the sac with the female until I noticed babies dispersing from the sac. The female was removed from the enclosure to make it easier to remove the babies. About half the sac was infertile and I ended up with about 30 babies.

Two females were bred via the same method in the fall of 2004 with results still pending.

Botar

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Hello.

Tonight I tried the H. maculata male that was a loan from Scott C here on the boards. He drummed around all over the enclosure looking for the female. Finally she came out and drummed a little. He touched her palps and lured her out into the open. Both of them drummed for a bit and then a couple of rapid insertions took place.

Here is some pics of the 2 lovebirds!

****************UPDATE********************
07-29-2005 Females Weight gain

The female is currently getting allot of weight in her rump. I do not have her molts recorded due to getting her from a show so I hope that shes does not molt out.

08-09-2005 Female is LAYING EGGS!!!!!!

Right she is laying eggs in a hammock she made last week.

You can see in the bottom left a yellow area. Thats where they are.

08-17-2005 Pulled Sack for Incubation

08-24-2005 Postembryo's have arrived :D

09-01-2005 Postembryo's moving around

09-09-2005 Only 40 Postembryo's made it to the 1st instar :(

Last edited:

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Heteroscodra maculata SUCCESS!

Heteroscodra maculata SUCCESS!

:D {D {D

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Success

Put the male (Botars) in with the female for a month. Noticed her actively trying to catch the male so I took him out and sent him on his way to another female.
Within a month she had made a sack and carefully guarded it for 35 days at which time I decided to take it so I didnt have to chase babies all over.
I opened the sack to 280ish first instars. I put them in an incubator (which wasnt humid enough as I soon found out) until they molted into 2nd instar. About 50+ of the babies had a hard time molting. Stuck legs etc.
I sent off 120-140 to Botar and kept about the same amount counting the Gimpy ones.
The final count was ( and Im not totally sure) 285 that lived. All I know was there was a LOT of them!! A LOT....

Rabid Flea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well my male H. maculata I bought a few days ago did the deed with my beautiful girl.

After much coaching from ChrisNCT and calming down by Debby (Satanika) everyone made it through fine. After I placed him into her container, he was still sitting on his cork bark for about half an hour. After a while I gave him a light prod and he ran right into the females burrow!!!

Neither one of them moved for what seemed like a heart pounding eternity for me, then she promplty chased him out of her burrow and he started drumming his little legs off... she followed him up the glass much do my delight and...

.. here are the pics!

Tempting her out...

Drumming

Getting her into position

A couple of good insertions {D

Male uses his Super Spidey Speed to get the heck outta dodge...

I was totally nervous during this breeding attempt cuz macs really scare the fuzz outta me, but everyone made it through just fine! The male is back into his tank resting and building another sperm web :} I will keep everyone updated on the status of the breeding and hopeful future sac!

Thanks,
Jeff

Wolfy72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My big female dropped eggs today just wondering if there are any tips or tricks i should know about.
Temps, misting, humidity levels,, etc etc
When exactly should i pulled the sac which By the way isnt really a sac at all,, she has a kinda hammock built against one wall and the bottom of the tank, eggs deposited in it and then webbed over, she is now sittin directly on top of them, just curious here but doesnt she have to turn and rotate the eggs for them to be viable???

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Successful!

My computer crashed earlier this year, so I lost a lot of data, but I'll try to reconstruct with what info I have.

I bred two of my female to my male. Both were bred in January, I believe, and were within 2-4 weeks of their latest molt. Both laid sacs. Unfortunately, the first laid hers in March but didn't web the sac properly and the eggs spilled out the bottom and leaked onto the substrate. The second sac from my second female was successful, however, and I've got about 80 nymphs at this point, which molted out on 05/15/07.

The really interesting thing about this, is the H. maculata lay their's 'hammock' style, but in an odd way I haven't seen before. Instead of webbing a hammock, they web a 'J', straight up and down on the side of the enclosure with a little cup in the bottom to catch the eggs. The female is also verticle, straight up and down, as she lays. Both of my females made their sacs this way.

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Here is a set of pics for the successful breeding of the Heteroscodra maculata "Ornamental Baboon" that I have bred today. ;P

Hopefully allot of babies will be added to my room soon!

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Male received from ChrisNCT on 5/20/07.
First attempt on 5/30, several more after that.
Results still pending...

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
H maculata

I have two big females, and one mature male.

Friday - Feb 20 - Fresh sperm web was made earlier that day.

that night i introduced him into the females cage. Temp was about 73F. Lighting was minimal.

Male began to tap as soon as he eased down and touched her leg. She began to tap too :)

They proceeded to stay locked together for about 1 minute, the male made at least two good insertions, he had the female totally on her back. After finishing, he retreated quickly and i put them both back into place.

On saturday afternoon, i tried pairing the male with the other female. they simply bumped into one another and went about their business, no mating occurred. they didn't seem very interested.

female #1 is starting to get an elongated abdomen. I'm hoping she's filled with eggs.

i'm not sure how long it takes this species to make a sac, but from what i have read it's pretty quick.

will update when possible. No photos due to the fact that my new camera messed up this weekend :evil:

-Dan

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I had two MM H macs and one big female, but I was afraid of messing with these guys so I held off breeding them. Well, after the larger of my MM died, I decided that I had to do something with them, so I bred the remaining MM with the female. The first breeding took placed on 2/19/09. I opened the MM and the female's tanks, sat them next to each other, and scooted the MM into the female's tank. I put the lid on, and let them find each other and do their thing. The MM drummed very quickly, and rushed the girl before she could do anything. After a minute of insertions, he spun around and ran away. I fed the girl heavily that night, a little more the next day, and on 2/21/09 re-introduced the MM for more of the same. This mating was a little more interesting, since the male was being shy and kinda 'fell' into the tank, landing right on the female. The female was startled and spun around, but the male did not miss a beat and was immediately doing insertions. After he was done, he took off again and I returned him to his tank. I tried another breeding on 2/24/09, but the neither T drummed and the female started chasing the MM around, so I took him back out. Now, I am waiting for her to make a sac (hopefully!).

spiderdan1331

Arachnopeon
H.mac success in summer 09 and another hopeful now...
i mated my H.mac last spring and she produced a sac with 259 healthy slings.
i waited nearly 2 months to pull the sac and when i opened it they were all first instars. with the help of my daughter and my friends i separated the 259 slings into separate cups. i sold my half and gave my buddy(WarriorTraveler) the other half(was his male)---hes still sellin em if ur interested--
-update-
i introduced another male to my H.mac last week. this one only lasted 2 days in her tank before he was killed....semi-confident, hopeful

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Successful:

Female: He_ma_2

Female's Most Recent Molt Date: 10-Feb-10

Male: He_ma_12

Male's Ultimate Molt Date: 28-Feb-10

First Pairing Date: 20-Mar-10

Total Number of Pairings:1

Eggsac Formed: 19-Apr-10

Eggsac Pulled: 7-May-10- Post Embryos

1st Instars: 11-May-10

2nd Instars: 29-May-10

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Success- Double Clutch

Female: He_ma_5

Female's Most Recent Molt: 11-Dec-09

Male: He_ma_12

Male's Ultimate Molt Date: 28-Feb-10

Date of Pairing: 1-Apr-10

This is her second eggsac from a single mating. The first eggsac was unsuccessful.

Eggsac Found: 6 July 10 - I returned from a 2 week trip and found the eggsac. The exact date it was made is unknown.

Eggsac pulled 20 July 10

First Instars When Pulled

2nd Instars: 2 August 10

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Success- Another Double Clutch

Female number: He_ma_2

Female's most recent molt: 10 Feb 10

Male number: He_ma_12

Male's ultimate molt: 28 Feb 10

First pairing: 20 Mar 10

Final pairing: Same

Total number of pairings: 1

These are the results for a second eggsac from this pairing:

Eggsac found: 10 Jul 10

Eggsac pulled: 20 July 10

Stage of slings when pulled: Eggs

Eggs with legs molt date: 24 Jul 10

1st instar molt date: 29 July 10

2nd instar molt date: 16 Aug 10*

*I was away on a collecting trip so my wife was caring for the spiders. This date is an estimate and may be a couple days off in either direction.

macilacispiders

Arachnopeon
Mating: 31th March 2010.

Kokon laid: 27th May 2010.

Kokon opened: 02nd July 2010. (L2)

First molt: 10th July 2010.

Number of slings: 134

There were no bad eggs or died larven in the eggsac.

The second eggsac from the same breeding:

Mating: 31th Marc 2010..

Kokon laid: 27th Aug 2010..

Kokon opened: 20th Sept 2010. (L1)

Molt to L2: 28th Sept 2010.

First molt: 09th Oct 2010.

Number of slings: 68

There were no bad eggs or died larven in the eggsac.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Successful

Female number: He_ma_2

Female's most recent molt: 8-Oct-10

Total Molts Since Previous Eggsac: 1

Male number: He_ma_11

Male's ultimate molt: 29-Nov-10

First pairing: 23-Dec-11

Final pairing: 23-Dec-11

Total number of pairings: 1