Heteroscodra Maculata/ Pterinochilus murinus?!

Wolfywolf7

Arachnopeon
while doing some research on my newest tarantula, a Starburst Baboon, I found that some websites call it by Heteroscodra Maculata while other sites say Pterinochilus murinus. I'm confused! I thought it was Pterinochilus murinus. Would someone wanna clear this up for me please?

Dreadz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The common name could be a number of different T's. So most of the time common names really don't matter when it comes to T's. I would just stick to scientific names if i were you. Starburst Baboon is the common name for Pterinochilus murinus. The common name for Heteroscodra Maculata is Ornamental Baboon. Hope this clears some stuff up for you.

Wolfywolf7

Arachnopeon
i was using the scientific name Pterinochilus murinus, i may be wrong though, i doubt mine's a ornamental ill post up some pics.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
it's either a H.maculata or P.murinus... post pictures. :wall:

grayhound

Arachnosquire
obt and ornamental

From what I've seen, The Pternochilus is Orange and referred to as an Sunburst orange OBT. The H MAC is an Ornamental Baboon and is white with grayish accents....

Wolfywolf7

Arachnopeon
thats what i was thinking, would i have to wait before it molts again to sex it? i could try posting a pic of its underside, i've never sexed a T before....

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Looks like P.murinus under very heavy premolt.

Wolfywolf7

Arachnopeon
yeahhh... ill just wait till it molts, someone mentioned it looked like it was premolt but who knows. I'll keep you guys uodated thanks for the help

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Way to fuzzy.. but the ends of those palps look awfully enlarged to me...
Can you take a clearer picture of just the palps? Might be a MM.

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
P. murinus is commonly refered to as 'orange starburst baboon'.

H. maculata is commonly refered to as 'Togo starburst baboon'.