Heteropoda venatoria

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Check it out....I got a breeding pair of Florida Huntsmans from the Butterfly Pavillion here in Colorado. They gave them to me as thanks for donating some inverts from my collection. Anyhow, here's the female...

Last edited:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
here's the male...
(I'm not holding him...I put my hand in the background for size comparison)

Last edited:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
and here's the enclosures I made for them.
Whatcha think?

Atrax

Last edited:

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ATRAX...

BRUTALLY AWESOME. I stretched two thumbs up so hard, I nearly sprained my tendons...

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Heteropoda

Beautiful specimens Gary!! The enclosures look great too!!

Alex S.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was wondering what is the captive life span of Heteropoda venatoria?

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I'm gonna pair up mine this coming weekend. Should be fun. (They're FAST!) We'll have to see how it goes. Anybody have experience breeding Florida Huntsmans?

Atrax

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Wow! Very nice spiders :D

Those things are everywhere down here. I've been finding babies all over the house, so some breeding must have been going on recently.

You're right about the fast part. I could NEVER catch one of those things!

-Bryan

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL! I know, they pretty much just teleport! The funny thing is, I'm not afraid of ANY bug in my collection (although I HIGHLY respect several of them due to toxicity) but for some odd reason, the Huntsmans kinda freak me out. :8o
I can't explain why, they just kind of give me a little shiver when they get close to my hands. Like I said, pairing them up is gonna be fun.

Atrax

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How are you gonna raise the babies? THat will be such a pain in the rear end. They are gonna be so much smaller than a tarantual spiderling.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most likely I'd stretch a piece of very fine nylon mesh over the top of the enclosure. That will allow air to get in but no s'ling will be able to get through. From there, I guess it's survival of the fittest until the remainder are big enough for pins or fruit flies.

Atrax

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
If it helps, the spiderlings I've been seeing around here are about 2mm across (legspan) and completely transparent. I have to look hard to see them. It's not going to be easy to raise those little things, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

About being afraid of them: I am, too ;) I think it has to do with the body shape and how they move.

-Bryan

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
ATRAX ! those are AWSOME enclosures. Make mine for my spiders look boring