Heteropoda lunula sling care

fredwardkroeger

Arachnopeon
Hi all,
I received my heteropoda lunula huntsman sling a few days ago and I’m very very keen to make sure this babe grows up to be the beautiful specimen it is. It’s currently about 1/2” with leg span. Very tiny.

I have it in a sling enclosure with no escape holes, but plenty of ventilation. I’m keeping the substrate moist and I mist with water once a day for humidity & drinking droplets.

It’s hard to find flightless fruit flies or tiny crickets where I live so I’ve got mealworms and waxworms on hand.

it’s about 75-80 degrees in its enclosure. I’ve got a 2 watt heat mat propped up behind it, and a space heater for the room when it gets chilly.

there’s stuff to climb and hide behind in its enclosure. It currently likes the underside of a cubone skull, lol.

Any advice on how to make sure it’s eating and thriving would be majorly appreciated!!

7ED8B4B0-F064-400C-BA38-F97502485572.jpeg 60E41CEB-C3A5-4A77-95E7-9B12D372CAF3.jpeg

ForTW

Arachnobaron
Mealworm is nit the best choice for this size.
Any chance to get very small grasshoppers? Regular flys?

Only one is tough to get an adult spider but i wish you two all the best.

fredwardkroeger

Arachnopeon
Mealworm is nit the best choice for this size.
Any chance to get very small grasshoppers? Regular flys?

Only one is tough to get an adult spider but i wish you two all the best.
Do you mean that it’s hard to grow them to adulthood successfully?

ForTW

Arachnobaron
Do you mean that it’s hard to grow them to adulthood successfully?
Yeah, i got 10 and made 5 females and one male.
Now since the male got killed instantly, i got another 15 and one already stuck in it's molt.
Ok, that was 2 Instar but i lost one or two at a reasonable size (1cm BL).

fredwardkroeger

Arachnopeon
Yeah, i got 10 and made 5 females and one male.
Now since the male got killed instantly, i got another 15 and one already stuck in it's molt.
Ok, that was 2 Instar but i lost one or two at a reasonable size (1cm BL).
yeah I’ve heard they’re fragile slings, I’m sorry you’ve had so much trouble! But it’s good to know.

I’m mostly paranoid that it’s not eating. I’m going to try to get some fruit flies but they won’t arrive for a few days😬

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I will be honest, that enclosure is way too big for its current size. I kept mine in 5.5 oz deli cups so they could easily find prey, and also to retain a little bit more moisture. Also adding onto what fortw said, these are pretty fragile, all 5 of mine dropped dead after eating and molting just fine for a few months.

fredwardkroeger

Arachnopeon
I will be honest, that enclosure is way too big for its current size. I kept mine in 5.5 oz deli cups so they could easily find prey, and also to retain a little bit more moisture. Also adding onto what fortw said, these are pretty fragile, all 5 of mine dropped dead after eating and molting just fine for a few months.
You're totally right. I do know it's eating and I keep my spiders all in a temperature and humidity controlled room, then do adjustments within their specific enclosures for their needs. But yes it's in a too big house. It hasn't molted yet but it's been eating so...time will tell?

ForTW

Arachnobaron
You're totally right. I do know it's eating and I keep my spiders all in a temperature and humidity controlled room, then do adjustments within their specific enclosures for their needs. But yes it's in a too big house. It hasn't molted yet but it's been eating so...time will tell?
Heteropoda are fairly active hunters during nighttime. I would not be concerned about him/her finding food as long as you feed moving prey like crickets or grasshoppers.

fredwardkroeger

Arachnopeon
Heteropoda are fairly active hunters during nighttime. I would not be concerned about him/her finding food as long as you feed moving prey like crickets or grasshoppers.
It’s still small enough to be taking fruit flies, but after a molt or two I’ll be feeding lil crickets