Heteropoda lunula Adult Male?

Texthere

Arachnopeon
My Heteropoda lunula finally molted after 4 months. Much to my dismay it seems to be an adult male? I'd like to have some reassurance that it really is a male. Females don't have such large bulbous pedipalps, right? He has a mere 2cm Bodylength, which is also strange. Aren't they supposed to be huge?

Attachments

basin79

ArachnoGod
They do look bulbous in the first pic but that could very well be the angle. I had a female a few years ago and they hold their palps in such a way they can look bulbous if the angle's right. Yours doesn't seem as colourful (back legs) but that could be just an individual thing.

Unfortunately didn't get many pics.

C287F9CC-5D5C-4A82-869E-284C10A946BF.jpeg
95F55862-9EDF-40C5-9DB6-38D05BDEB172.jpeg

Texthere

Arachnopeon
I was secretly hoping you'd reply :rofl: Here's another pic. I'm honestly puzzled.i compared the palps to a few pics online and his are extremely swollen. My next question would be why he resembles a female.. when I look up lunula males I see vastly different animals compared to this one. He's not even leggy. I honestly have no idea to be honest

Attachments

basin79

ArachnoGod
I was secretly hoping you'd reply :rofl: Here's another pic. I'm honestly puzzled.i compared the palps to a few pics online and his are extremely swollen. My next question would be why he resembles a female.. when I look up lunula males I see vastly different animals compared to this one. He's not even leggy. I honestly have no idea to be honest
Aye again they do look it there. Maybe penultimate male? Hopefully once fully hardened up and feeding you get to see the palps out and flat to get a better idea.

Texthere

Arachnopeon
Aye again they do look it there. Maybe penultimate male? Hopefully once fully hardened up and feeding you get to see the palps out and flat to get a better idea.
Let's hope it's a female somehow. Thid molt took 4 months (at 27°C).. kinda crazy for such a small spider. I'll update you once I feed him

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Males of this species are quite valuable as the species is known to have a (very) high female ratio. In case your specimen should turn out male you'll most likely have no problems to find someone willing to pay a good amount of cash for him or trade for a female of that species if that is what you want.

Be careful though: i befriended breeder of this species told me his males would usually only live for 6-8 weeks, so once he's adult you better find him a bride quick.

Wrt to size: the species is rather medium sized. I've seen wc females and they were all smaller than H. boiei or even large H. venatoria. I find them similar to H. davidbowie, very beautiful but not the largest species in the trade.

Texthere

Arachnopeon
Males of this species are quite valuable as the species is known to have a (very) high female ratio. In case your specimen should turn out male you'll most likely have no problems to find someone willing to pay a good amount of cash for him or trade for a female of that species if that is what you want.

Be careful though: i befriended breeder of this species told me his males would usually only live for 6-8 weeks, so once he's adult you better find him a bride quick.

Wrt to size: the species is rather medium sized. I've seen wc females and they were all smaller than H. boiei or even large H. venatoria. I find them similar to H. davidbowie, very beautiful but not the largest species in the trade.
Thank you for the info! I would have loved to have a female. Maybe I can find one for him. Would absolutely love to breed them

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
I agree with Stefan here, we kept this species at the museum and adult males did not live very long.

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
@ Gil, thank you for the confirmation!

@Texthere if i was in your boots and you really want to breed this species yourself i'd start looking for a suitable (subadult / fresh adult) female asap.

Seems timing (maturation of male + having an adult female at hand) is key with this species.