Heteropoda latin name question

fengzi

Arachnopeon
My dad pointed out heteropoda may mean "differing feet" and I was wondering why this is used for some species of huntsman spiders.

Do all their feet/legs differ from each other in some way?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I suspect there is a private competition in scientific circles as to the most vague ambiguous name possible.

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Look at how different their legs and feet are, with the front legs significantly larger than the rear.

fengzi

Arachnopeon
Look at how different their legs and feet are, with the front legs significantly larger than the rear.
Do you have an example species or image that shows the vast difference?

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Then their name should be heterocrus, or maybe heterocruses. Just saying. :rolleyes:
If we go by the feet of numerous species of prowling hunting spiders the clawed foot is quite similar and the name should thus be Homospoda.

And BTW, if we go entirely by majority similarity traits, humans should properly be called Homostultus. :devil:

Last edited:

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
by majority similarity traits, humans should properly be called Homostultus
Priceless! 💍 🥇 Ne permittas stultos homines deridere te, Snark! :rofl:

Sapiens, indeed. Taxonomy is rife with misnomers, but binomial nomenclature succeeds nonetheless, until you get down into organisms with so much horizontal gene transfer that even strain designations are suspect.

ForTW

Arachnobaron
In German those are also called crab spiders because of their unusual frontwards facing legs. Something unique and diffrent to Most spiders.