Heterophrynus batesii

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yep..Viper, you just made me look at the pictures again lol. Why do I like this arachnid so much lol?

numbat1000

Arachnosquire
lol but they really are so amazing. I only wish they were more easily acquirable.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Is care pretty much the same as D. diadema? Everyone says that D. diadema is the one of the easiest but I have never found anything to suggest care is different for pretty much any of them really.

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Is care pretty much the same as D. diadema? Everyone says that D. diadema is the one of the easiest but I have never found anything to suggest care is different for pretty much any of them really.
I keep them much more humid than Damon species. They are not as skittish as Damon with large prey, they like the prey big. They do not hug the surface like Damon species, they prop themselves above it so you need more vertical space than with Damon. They also do not hide in crevices like Damon, they are out in the open more. Large flat vertical spaces are required for them to hang out on. They are also much more communal than Damon species. I have never had any cannibalism between members even while molting. They usually bunch up when they are resting during the day and then spread out a little at night to hunt. They will take food at any opportunity during the day and they are great hunters. They will usually take food within minutes of the prey being introduced into the enclosure.

Last edited:

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I figured I would add some new tank shots since it has grown in.

Thanks,
Mike

2015-11-15_04-34-07.jpg 2015-11-15_04-34-45.jpg

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Wow, that's a beautiful tank! :D One question, how are they EVER going to find their food? It's more likely that the crickets/roaches you feed it will die of old age than be eaten by your whipspiders!

schmiggle

Arachnoking
The tank is almost more stunning than the whipspiders! :) I love the picture of the just-molted babies.

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wow, that's a beautiful tank! :D One question, how are they EVER going to find their food? It's more likely that the crickets/roaches you feed it will die of old age than be eaten by your whipspiders!
Thanks. They do have been very efficient at finding the food in the tank. They have molted numerous times since the introduction to the tank. The choice of prey is chosen carefully though with the introduction of isopods, large crickets and non burrowing roaches. Burrowing prey would be completely lost very quickly.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Well that's good to hear, glad they are doing well for you. Again, very beautiful tank! :)

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Great stuff, and beautiful pictures. I need to set something up like this.

Later, Tom

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wow, that tank is crazy! Glad to hear they're doing well and awesome to see you got some whiplings too! Hoping to do a pretty major setup once I get a big tank. I already have plants and clean up crews, so now I just need a tank and some H. batesii :D

Forcep

Arachnosquire
The terrarium is stunning! Do you have any problem with the plants by putting crickets in?