Heterometrus Swammerdami Breeding Project

scorpguy

Arachnopeon
I’m trying to find some Heterometrus Swammerdami that I can use in a breeding project but I’m having trouble finding any available in the US. Does anyone know where to get some? I am interested in adult specimens or instars that I can raise to adulthood and breed. Thanks.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You can find them in Europe or India. Sorry, right now I can't think of anyone breeding them. I know of one hobbiest that has some in the US. His are still small. I'm sure there are a few more floating around but they would still be very rare.

JOhn

scorpguy

Arachnopeon
John, thanks for the reply. I know of a few places in the UK that have them available but I don’t have the required import docs and don’t want to import them illegally. Do you know if the hobbiest in the US that has them is interested in selling some? I don’t mind if they are small. I am willing to raise them to maturity in order to breed them. If you think he might be interested in selling a few would you please PM me his info? Thanks.
Joe

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That might be me, I'm doing the same as you want to do. I'd love to hand some out to more people wanting to breed them but I only have 4, and I don't know if all will make it, I just can't afford it. I started with 7, some had weird deformities/abnormalities. Two out of the 4 left have some abnormalities. I don't even know if I have a pair yet, I can't find good info on sexual dimorphism in adults either, anybody know? At this rate of growth, it could be 3 years plus before they are adults, I wish I had a few more. With 4 left, I feel like I'm cutting it too close.

scorpguy

Arachnopeon
Galapoheros, that’s completely understandable. I’m glad to see other people also trying to breed this species in the US. What kind of deformities/abnormalities did your scorps have? As far as sexual dimorphism goes, I’m not really sure, I haven’t been able to get my hands on a pair to be able to compare the two. How long have you had yours, and what instar are they at? Would you happen to know of anyone else in the US that might have some they would be willing to sell?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't know who else has them here, guess they don't bother with forums as much. I don't remember when I got them exactly, all that and pics of the deformities are in old threads, extra book lungs, segments, things like that.

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
I've only seen them sold more-or-less frequently in Europe. I hate to say this, but the best thing to do is be patient and continue to look on online sites or in the classifieds section here. We are all wishing you good luck!;)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Those are prob from the same brood as the ones I bought, holding on, selling higher as they get bigger. To people that buy these, if you think it's a good idea, it might be a good idea to stay in touch if one or the other needs to breed theirs and doesn't have the opp sex. If it sounds like a good idea to you, go ahead and send me a pm if you want.