Heterometrus/subadult ID /// slow maturation

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi,

I have a slight dilemma, which hopefully someone can shed light on!

I bought several subadult "Heterometrus from Indian Highlands" about 2-3 years ago, two arrived DOA (pic) and a further two survived. One moulted relatively fast, the last one has remained subadult for 2 years and counting!!!!

Anyone have any crazy tips? It doesn't look even remotely close to moulting still. No action when putting it with my male, actually the little one chases the male off.

I've tried feeding, she won't eat, I've tried over-heating, drying out, over-watering!!!

Any ideas? ID: H. phipsoni on the male (and 4 previous adults I've had, which were all male)

Does anyone reckon this might be a different species from the same locality? The tail is so tiny on the 'subadult' though, I cant bring myself to think its an adult of a different species

Pics: http://imgur.com/a/lb5Bk

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
hmm, no bites, well I'll say something. I feel the same, looks premolt or gravid if it's not premolt. It's that I don't very often see Pandinus and Heterometrus have "that kind" of fatness going on unless they are premolt or gravid with so much membrane showing. Kind of cool looking sps to imo.

I just took a closer look, the DOAs seem to have diff kind of granulation going on, more smooth looking than the two you have that are alive. Is it just the camera light? It made me wonder if the two DOAs are a diff sps but the live ones are both phipsoni, do you still have the DOAs, maybe in the freezer?

Last edited:

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey

thanks! Shes been that fat for the full two years, doesn't eat very often at all, maybe shes just a slow grower and the Indian highlands are a different climate to regular Hets

As for the DOAs, i think they may have been 1 moult under the subadult, agree that the granules are a lot less raised!
Hopefully it's just variation and not a different species, my poor male has been waiting for so long!! and hes a nice specimen, ridiculously big claws/pedipalps