Heterometrus spinifer or petersii?

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is my H pertersii, yours looks a little more granulated than mine. There are subspecies though, which makes it confusing.

Also from what I can see the granulation extends awefully far onto the 'plaps. I can't really reach a conclusion but thought it'd be niec to have comparison pics.

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey,

Since it is a male, check the chela. If there is a notch on the chela that means it is a H. petersii male. It also lacks the "curve" in the granulation a H. spinifer has. I'd say it is H. petersii, I've been seeing a lot of these lately. Is almost weird, I hope someone can get some spinifer...

Mike

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey,

Since it is a male, check the chela. If there is a notch on the chela that means it is a H. petersii male. It also lacks the "curve" in the granulation a H. spinifer has. I'd say it is H. petersii, I've been seeing a lot of these lately. Is almost weird, I hope someone can get some spinifer...

Mike
Hmm, and can you see the notch in my second pic H? I'm pretty I'm looking at the right thing, and my petersii ID was one of those "it's gotta be" ID's, I'm just glad I can be certain.

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I can't see it. The chela isn't in the pic really. But the chela should look like this:

Mike

Last edited:

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ed,

Looking at your first picture again, is there granulation next to the median eyes?

Mike