Heterometrus Spinifer Housing...

Seengs

Arachnopeon
Greetings all! I've had my spini for about 2 weeks now and have him in a 10 gallon galss aquarium with about 4-5 inches of topsoil and some pieces or rocks and wood for shelter. He is doing fine, but I am wanting to get really creative with a new setup for him. I'd like to get some tropical plants so that I can further enjoy they large amounts of time I watch him! :) Does anyone have a setup like this or know some good links for me? What types of plants are best, and what's the best substrate setup? I want to do things right with as little blundering around on my own as possible. Thanks in advance.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had my huge Pandinus tank set up with pothos vines and a few other plants. it looked really nice for about 2 weeks and then the scorpion went nuts digging, uprooted all the plants killing them.

I evetually redid the tank with a couple medium sized rocks and huge hunk of driftwood. She digs around and under the rocks and the drift wood and i no longer have any dead or near dead plants to worry about in her tank.

Seengs

Arachnopeon
Wow! He's a little guy right now, but he IS a digger. Maybe i could put a couple plants in the corners and section them off or something. After looking around I found the post about the Emperor setup and supposedly the habitat's similar to that of the spini. I'll go with that, since I can use a topsoil/peat moss over the layer of gravel at the bottom. That should support plants, I hope. Can anyone give me some good plant species?

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Cant help you with the scientific name but when I tried a planted tank, i used cuttings of what is sold as a "fortune plant". I stuck it in a small clay pot so the scorpion wouldnt dig it up and kill it. The plant eventually died from lack of sunlight though.

The light requirement of keeping a planted tank is a bummer and you may want to try looking up some plants that dont really require that much sunlight.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My experience with emperors and live plants is that they would walk all over them every night and eventually crushed them. I've seen people use bamboo. You could use a 'plant' grow bulb for the needed light spectrum during daytime hours.