Heterometrus Spinifer climbing over and over.

Lorenzo Benevento

Arachnosquire
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum.
I got here because I'm a little bit worried about my scorpion.
It came to me after 11 days travelling (amazing how those creature can survive stuff like this) on Wednesday.
My terrarium is something like 40cm-32cm-35cm, 5-6cm cocoa fiber substrate, humidity between 65-90% (I know it should be 80-90% but it's nearly impossible to keep it like this) and has a substrate temperature between about 30C to 24C.
Anyway, he stays nearly all the day up on ventialation grilles, don't think this is a normal behavior.
Obviuously it isn't eating and it doesn't look too active.
This is a picture of he/she (don't know the sex), pretty fat, isn't it?
What should I check?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
You need to make the substrate moist. Don't worry about specific humidity numbers, the sub should be moist. It should be at least 4" deep to allow for burrowing. Does it have a hide? It needs a hide as well.

Lorenzo Benevento

Arachnosquire
Okay, I'm doing it. And I'll get a higher substrate! But what about those strange behavior? Nothing to worry about?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
But what about those strange behavior?
The strange behavior is because of a combination of not moist enough substrate and settling in. :) Once the scorp is settled in, it will stop climbing as much, though it might explore at night.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Sphagnum moss will be your best friend with this species. Mix in with substrate and it helps keep the sub moist longer. I wouldn't worry about it not eating because it looks healthy.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Completely normal mine did it all the time. No matter what enclosure it was in with any substrate it atleast liked to hang from the lid if it could reach

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Completely normal mine did it all the time. No matter what enclosure it was in with any substrate it atleast liked to hang from the lid if it could reach
That's how my H. longimanus female is XD during the day she's hidden, at night I'll go in to check on everyone and there she is hanging upside down on the kid of her Kritter Keeper lol

Lorenzo Benevento

Arachnosquire
Thanks everyone. Good to know is something normal! Anyway, mine is up there also during the day, not only in the night! Don't know if it change something.

Lorenzo Benevento

Arachnosquire
Other two stuff. Is there someone who can tell for sure which Heterometrus is mine? Bought as a Spinifer, but I see there is a lot of misunderstanding identifing some scorpions species.
Second one: Is it possible it is gonna moult? I think it is quite fat, maybe still growing?

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Taking a clear picture of it's claws. Top and bottom of it's body. And tail. A few people on here can ID it but the pictures have to VERY clear and close up

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Second one: Is it possible it is gonna moult? I think it is quite fat, maybe still growing?
Looks to be an adult, so no.
Is there someone who can tell for sure which Heterometrus is mine? Bought as a Spinifer, but I see there is a lot of misunderstanding identifing some scorpions species.
Get clear pictures of the overall scorp, the fifth metasomal segment, and the claws.

Lorenzo Benevento

Arachnosquire
Those are some photos. Unfortunatly I wasn't able to take a good picture of his bottom. Hopefully those one will be sufficient.

EDIT: Those are good picture, you can zoom if you wanna see some details. I think it could be Heterometrus Spinifer, female one. But I really don't know.

Attachments