Heterometrus spinfier age??

david booth

Arachnosquire
They are indeed both female ^_^. How to sex on your own, if you look at the pictures you will see that the above "plate" between the pectines looks like a praying mantis' head. Females look like that and males will look like little buttholes
Thanks for the info dude. Much appreciated, so now I need to pick a heterometrus male and hope he doesn't get eaten lol. Have you bred this genus before??

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hey guys,
I was just wondering whats the best way to tell if a heterometrus species is an adult or not. I've been told asian forests can get six inches. When they say "six inches" is this a claw to telson measurement or just the body??
Thanks guys
You cannot judge a Scorpion's sexual maturity based on the size alone since different individuals of the same species can be noticeably different sizes yet still able to reproduce.

david booth

Arachnosquire
You cannot judge a Scorpion's sexual maturity based on the size alone since different individuals of the same species can be noticeably different sizes yet still able to reproduce.
So when will I know that there adults. Red telsons, bigger chlea, etc???

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the info dude. Much appreciated, so now I need to pick a heterometrus male and hope he doesn't get eaten lol. Have you bred this genus before??

I have not had the opportunity to breed my female yet. I'll be heading out to the pet store tomorrow to see if they have any in stock (generally it's hit and miss) and see if I can find a male. Although, I'll have to do some research on breeding them. My C. gracilis was super easy since they were easily communal and my female was Miss Fertile Mertile lol

david booth

Arachnosquire
I have not had the opportunity to breed my female yet. I'll be heading out to the pet store tomorrow to see if they have any in stock (generally it's hit and miss) and see if I can find a male. Although, I'll have to do some research on breeding them. My C. gracilis was super easy since they were easily communal and my female was Miss Fertile Mertile lol
Haha well I hope it goes well for you buddy. I havent got my male yet I'm getting him on the weekend. What other animals do you have ??

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Haha well I hope it goes well for you buddy. I havent got my male yet I'm getting him on the weekend. What other animals do you have ??

Well I bought the only 2 longimanus the pet store had, both were smaller females...attempted a communal tank that did NOT go well and now they are both occupying their own 10 gal tank :p Still hopeful on finding a male haha. As far as my collection goes

Tarantulas:
0.1.0 A. avicularia
0.1.0 A. chalcodes
0.0.2 A. geniculata
0.1.0 B. smithi
0.0.2 B. vagans
1?.0.0 G. pulchripes
0.2.0 G. rosea/porteri
0.0.1 H. sp. colombia large (pumpkin patch)
1?.0.0 H. gigas
0.0.10 L. parahybana
0.0.1 M. balfouri
0.0.1 N. chromatus
0.1.2 P. irminia
0.0.1 P. muticus
0.0.1 T. stirmi

Scorpions:
0.3.0 H. longimanus
0.1?.0 H. spinifer
1.0.0 P. imperator
0.0.1 C. vittatus

Others:
0.1.0 normal morph leopard gecko
1.3.0 Fire belly toads
0.2.0 Large rats
1.0.0 Boxer
0.1.0 Pain in the ass (cat) lol

And last but not least, a colony of red runner roaches and whatever cleaner crew beetles that came with them lol. What about you?

david booth

Arachnosquire
Well I bought the only 2 longimanus the pet store had, both were smaller females...attempted a communal tank that did NOT go well and now they are both occupying their own 10 gal tank :p Still hopeful on finding a male haha. As far as my collection goes

Tarantulas:
0.1.0 A. avicularia
0.1.0 A. chalcodes
0.0.2 A. geniculata
0.1.0 B. smithi
0.0.2 B. vagans
1?.0.0 G. pulchripes
0.2.0 G. rosea/porteri
0.0.1 H. sp. colombia large (pumpkin patch)
1?.0.0 H. gigas
0.0.10 L. parahybana
0.0.1 M. balfouri
0.0.1 N. chromatus
0.1.2 P. irminia
0.0.1 P. muticus
0.0.1 T. stirmi

Scorpions:
0.3.0 H. longimanus
0.1?.0 H. spinifer
1.0.0 P. imperator
0.0.1 C. vittatus

Others:
0.1.0 normal morph leopard gecko
1.3.0 Fire belly toads
0.2.0 Large rats
1.0.0 Boxer
0.1.0 Pain in the ass (cat) lol

And last but not least, a colony of red runner roaches and whatever cleaner crew beetles that came with them lol. What about you?
Wow!!! Nice collection!! I just have my two asian forests scorps which are believed to be heterometrus peterssi. It I'm planning on building g a collection. I've been thinking of getting a g.rosea??

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Wow!!! Nice collection!! I just have my two asian forests scorps which are believed to be heterometrus peterssi. It I'm planning on building g a collection. I've been thinking of getting a g.rosea??

G. rosea isn't a bad species. Plan on mood swings of happy go lucky calm, then turn around fangs bared and legs in the air the next second lol. My bigger one stays in her hide and hasn't eaten in roughly a month (my A. chalcodes went dang near a year without eating) The smaller one stays out in the open but will either raise up in threat pose or bury her face with her legs when the lid to her tank is disturbed...since she molted she's been eating regularly...prior she fasted about 3 weeks after I bought her. If you're planning on getting one as a sling, plan on waiting FOREVER for it to grow since it's one of the slower growing species.

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh boy, where to begin...

Hey guys,
I was just wondering whats the best way to tell if a heterometrus species is an adult or not. I've been told asian forests can get six inches. When they say "six inches" is this a claw to telson measurement or just the body??
Thanks guys
Scorpions are measured from the anterior margin of the carapace to the tip of the telsons. Also, I very much doubt you have H. spinifer, please post pictures of the scorpions, particularly the carapace, chela, and 5th metasomal segment (lateral view).

Thanks pal. Very helpful Indeed I have posted pictures on the forum and a few people have said she's female but your more than welcome to have a look. I'll attach a pic of each scorpion the one in plastic tub is the one I'm asking about I picked the other one up by the tail. I know this is a massive no no but she wouldn't stay still in the tub so kind of a last resort. They both have been out today they moved over to the hot side sometime last night I'm going to try to feed them tonight. If there is any way you can confirm which sex they are. Like I said a few people have said female for both and these guys no alot more than I do. But feel free. Cheers dude
First one looks female, second looks male. I also suspect that your scorpions are H. petersii due to the pronounced tooth on the movable finger of the chela in the male.

LMAO you will be ok with the females in the tank together, but not the male as well. The female usually eat the male or they end up fighting immediately after their mating ritual dance ordeal.
Blatantly untrue.

Both females and males can usually be kept together without issue, and indeed, it's usually females that become the issue, as they can become quite defensive and territorial when they are gravid. Sexual cannibalism after mating is also very uncommon.

They are indeed both female ^_^. How to sex on your own, if you look at the pictures you will see that the above "plate" between the pectines looks like a praying mantis' head. Females look like that and males will look like little buttholes
What?

The characters of primary external sexual dimorphism are the undivided genital operculum, which has a small "split" at the posterior end, and opens in a single flap in the female compared with the two unconnected sclerites, which open independently and cover a pair of genital papillae in the male. Males also have larger pectines and sometimes more numerous pectinal teeth.

david booth

Arachnosquire
Wo
Oh boy, where to begin...

Scorpions are measured from the anterior margin of the carapace to the tip of the telsons. Also, I very much doubt you have H. spinifer, please post pictures of the scorpions, particularly the carapace, chela, and 5th metasomal segment (lateral view).

First one looks female, second looks male. I also suspect that your scorpions are H. petersii due to the pronounced tooth on the movable finger of the chela in the male.

Blatantly untrue.

Both females and males can usually be kept together without issue, and indeed, it's usually females that become the issue, as they can become quite defensive and territorial when they are gravid. Sexual cannibalism after mating is also very uncommon.

What?

The characters of primary external sexual dimorphism are the undivided genital operculum, which has a small "split" at the posterior end, and opens in a single flap in the female compared with the two unconnected sclerites, which open independently and cover a pair of genital papillae in the male. Males also have larger pectines and sometimes more numerous pectinal teeth.
Wow!! Thanks alot mate. Ive been told they're h.petersii by somebody else aswell. So you think I have a male and a female??

Attachments

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow!! Thanks alot mate. Ive been told they're h.petersii by somebody else aswell. So you think I have a male and a female??
Looks that way to me. Post more pics to be sure.

Also, do try to take clear pictures of the carapace and chela, as it will help me be sure of the ID.

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Alright, they're definitely Heterometrus petersii.

The scorpion in the picture where you're holding it by the metasoma is definitely a male. (Oval shaped and divided operculum, larger pectines, pronounced tooth on the movable finger of the chela.)

I think the other specimen is female, but the picture of the operculum is a little blurry.

david booth

Arachnosquire
Alright, they're definitely Heterometrus petersii.

The scorpion in the picture where you're holding it by the metasoma is definitely a male. (Oval shaped and divided operculum, larger pectines, pronounced tooth on the movable finger of the chela.)

I think the other specimen is female, but the picture of the operculum is a little blurry.
Thanks mate. And this is the other, bigger one.

Attachments