Heterometrus spinfier age??

david booth

Arachnosquire
Hey guys,
I was just wondering whats the best way to tell if a heterometrus species is an adult or not. I've been told asian forests can get six inches. When they say "six inches" is this a claw to telson measurement or just the body??
Thanks guys

david booth

Arachnosquire
I believe you measure from the head to the base of the tail.
Cheers pal. Is there any way you can find out if there an adult or not I've got one that's growing out at the sides a little, hiding all the time, and not eating so I think it's either going to moult or she's pregnant ??

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
I'm not exactly sure there. I guess size would be a fairly good indication. You might have to post some pictures so someone with more experience can help. As for if not eating and staying burrowed, my scorpions stay burrowed 90% of the time, I occasionally catch them out at night, sometimes they refuse food for days. It's normal

david booth

Arachnosquire
I'm not exactly sure there. I guess size would be a fairly good indication. You might have to post some pictures so someone with more experience can help. As for if not eating and staying burrowed, my scorpions stay burrowed 90% of the time, I occasionally catch them out at night, sometimes they refuse food for days. It's normal
Okay dude thanks alot for your help I'll get some pics posted. Cheers pal

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Firstly, do you even know for sure that yours is indeed a female? Pictures would be highly helpful of the scorpion's underside where the pectines are to properly sex it. Yes, you measure from the head of the scorpion to the tip of the tail for the size. I'm not sure what the size is for sexual maturity. Just as Christianb96 said, most scorpions tend to bury themselves or stay hidden from view and generally come out at night to hunt/explore. All of mine, except one, do. As long as yours has some plump to it, then it's not starving and as long as you offer a full water dish, you shouldn't have much to worry about. Hopefully this has been helpful ^_^

david booth

Arachnosquire
Firstly, do you even know for sure that yours is indeed a female? Pictures would be highly helpful of the scorpion's underside where the pectines are to properly sex it. Yes, you measure from the head of the scorpion to the tip of the tail for the size. I'm not sure what the size is for sexual maturity. Just as Christianb96 said, most scorpions tend to bury themselves or stay hidden from view and generally come out at night to hunt/explore. All of mine, except one, do. As long as yours has some plump to it, then it's not starving and as long as you offer a full water dish, you shouldn't have much to worry about. Hopefully this has been helpful ^_^
Thanks pal. Very helpful Indeed I have posted pictures on the forum and a few people have said she's female but your more than welcome to have a look. I'll attach a pic of each scorpion the one in plastic tub is the one I'm asking about I picked the other one up by the tail. I know this is a massive no no but she wouldn't stay still in the tub so kind of a last resort. They both have been out today they moved over to the hot side sometime last night I'm going to try to feed them tonight. If there is any way you can confirm which sex they are. Like I said a few people have said female for both and these guys no alot more than I do. But feel free. Cheers dude

Attachments

david booth

Arachnosquire
I'm thinking of getting a male at the weekend. Has anybody ever kept two females and a male together. Do they get aggressive I was told I had a male and female but a few very knolwedable people on here have said there both female. They're very friendly with sharing hides they practically sleep on top of each other lol. The idea I had was to breed them but I think I'd struggle with two females lmao!!.

Insertcoolnamehere

Arachnopeon
I'm thinking of getting a male at the weekend. Has anybody ever kept two females and a male together. Do they get aggressive I was told I had a male and female but a few very knolwedable people on here have said there both female. They're very friendly with sharing hides they practically sleep on top of each other lol. The idea I had was to breed them but I think I'd struggle with two females lmao!!.
LMAO you will be ok with the females in the tank together, but not the male as well. The female usually eat the male or they end up fighting immediately after their mating ritual dance ordeal.

david booth

Arachnosquire
LMAO you will be ok with the females in the tank together, but not the male as well. The female usually eat the male or they end up fighting immediately after their mating ritual dance ordeal.
Okay buddy thanks for the Info. Have you bred this species before ??

david booth

Arachnosquire
Yes I have a male heterometrus Longimanus that I've bred with my friends female
Ahhhh ok then buddy. Thanks alot for the heads up. So if I do put the male in there Iill keep both eyes on them lol. I did ask for a male In The first place and the shop assistant obviously can't tell the difference. Have you ever tried to put any sort of isopods in your tanks (woodlice, springtails) I hear really good things about this ???

Insertcoolnamehere

Arachnopeon
Ahhhh ok then buddy. Thanks alot for the heads up. So if I do put the male in there Iill keep both eyes on them lol. I did ask for a male In The first place and the shop assistant obviously can't tell the difference. Have you ever tried to put any sort of isopods in your tanks (woodlice, springtails) I hear really good things about this ???
I haven't tried personally but have saw vids and ppl on this forum use them

david booth

Arachnosquire
I haven't tried personally but have saw vids and ppl on this forum use them
Ahh ok Ill keep my eyes open. Aslong as I don't use anything wild caught Ill be OK?? I going to get the male on the weekend so hopefully they'll get along lol. Have you used any sort of moss. I'm going to try to grow some In the tank and would love to know where to start. I've searched the forum and people like to just scatter it around. Rather than try to cultivate it??

Insertcoolnamehere

Arachnopeon
Ahh ok Ill keep my eyes open. Aslong as I don't use anything wild caught Ill be OK?? I going to get the male on the weekend so hopefully they'll get along lol. Have you used any sort of moss. I'm going to try to grow some In the tank and would love to know where to start. I've searched the forum and people like to just scatter it around. Rather than try to cultivate it??
That I don't know anything about I just goto my local reptile store when in need of moss. My fingers crossed for you as well. You should record it and throw it on YouTube too.

david booth

Arachnosquire
That I don't know anything about I just goto my local reptile store when in need of moss. My fingers crossed for you as well. You should record it and throw it on YouTube too.
Yeah I think I will dude. Thanks for the help. It will defo be Interetesting to see if the spray bottle works

david booth

Arachnosquire
So do you know the best way to tell if my scorps are adults or not?? Anything particular I should look for ??

Insertcoolnamehere

Arachnopeon
So do you know the best way to tell if my scorps are adults or not?? Anything particular I should look for ??
There is no real way to tell however, youth (scorpion)stinger is normally white, teen is beigeish, and adults is brown/red brown but depending on the species it could have a mult or two left.

david booth

Arachnosquire
There is no real way to tell however, youth (scorpion)stinger is normally white, teen is beigeish, and adults is brown/red brown but depending on the species it could have a mult or two left.
OK buddy thanks again for your help I'll keep the post updated with the moss situation

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Thanks pal. Very helpful Indeed I have posted pictures on the forum and a few people have said she's female but your more than welcome to have a look. I'll attach a pic of each scorpion the one in plastic tub is the one I'm asking about I picked the other one up by the tail. I know this is a massive no no but she wouldn't stay still in the tub so kind of a last resort. They both have been out today they moved over to the hot side sometime last night I'm going to try to feed them tonight. If there is any way you can confirm which sex they are. Like I said a few people have said female for both and these guys no alot more than I do. But feel free. Cheers dude

They are indeed both female ^_^. How to sex on your own, if you look at the pictures you will see that the above "plate" between the pectines looks like a praying mantis' head. Females look like that and males will look like little buttholes