Heterometrus species identification.

SENKRAD

Arachnopeon
Hi, I currently own two scorpions, one which was purchased as a CB 2-3cm Heterometrus spinifer scorpling, and another that was purchased as a WC Heterometrus cyaneus adult. I posted pictures to the r/scorpions reddit and one person stated that the H./J. cyaneus was actually a Heterometrus silenus so I thought I'd join and post here with the hopes of proper identification, thank you. (I'm from the UK, if that helps).
scorpling.PNG wc adult 1.jpg wc adult 2.jpg

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
The individual in the first picture is too young to identify.
The adult specimen is not Javanimetrus cyaneus. It’s likely Heterometrus silenus, but I need better pictures (closer, with visible carapace) to tell for sure.

SENKRAD

Arachnopeon
The individual in the first picture is too young to identify.
The adult specimen is not Javanimetrus cyaneus. It’s likely Heterometrus silenus, but I need better pictures (closer, with visible carapace) to tell for sure.
Hi, apologies for the slow reply Is this a better picture for identification? Thanks

242313252_385888256525944_8430644830841315247_n.jpg

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Needs to be closer to tell with more accuracy.
It’s either H. silenus or H. laoticus.
H. silenus is very common so that’s the most likely. I need a closer picture to see the granulation pattern on the carapace that distinguishes them.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
H. silenus is very common so that’s the most likely. I need a closer picture to see the granulation pattern on the carapace that distinguishes them.
What's the difference between laoticus and the others, I'm going to be getting one soon.

Are they just a less bumpy Silenus?

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
What's the difference between laoticus and the others, I'm going to be getting one soon.

Are they just a less bumpy Silenus?
They look very similar to silenus, but Heterometrus silenus has patches of granulation on the carapace, whereas laoticus’ carapace is completely smooth.
By the way, that it’s sold as laoticus doesn’t 100% mean that it actually is. I probably see more mis-labelled Heterometrus being sold than correctly identified ones, haha.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
They look very similar to silenus, but Heterometrus silenus has patches of granulation on the carapace, whereas laoticus’ carapace is completely smooth.
By the way, that it’s sold as laoticus doesn’t 100% mean that it actually is. I probably see more mis-labelled Heterometrus being sold than correctly identified ones, haha.
well i guess i'll see in a couple years when it gets bigger

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Can you sex them at early instars, or only as they get older?

I read a paper about the sexual dimorphism of them and it seems pretty easy

SENKRAD

Arachnopeon
Hi, thanks for the help, are these better pictures?

20210920_232203.jpg
20210920_232154.jpg

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Hi, thanks for the help, are these better pictures?

View attachment 399645
View attachment 399646
Yes, that’s Heterometrus silenus :)

Can you sex them at early instars, or only as they get older?

I read a paper about the sexual dimorphism of them and it seems pretty easy
You can tell the sex based on the shape of the genital operculum and pectines. It’s usually not that hard if you know what to look for. They possess these structures right from the start, but they’re so small which makes it pretty much impossible to see. So I would only try after a few molts.

SENKRAD

Arachnopeon
Yes, that’s Heterometrus silenus :)

You can tell the sex based on the shape of the genital operculum and pectines. It’s usually not that hard if you know what to look for. They possess these structures right from the start, but they’re so small which makes it pretty much impossible to see. So I would only try after a few molts.
Thank you, does it appear male or female, I think a redditor said it was likely female.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Only way to reliably tell is by looking at the underside of the scorpion.
The genital operculum and pectines are located between the legs.

SENKRAD

Arachnopeon
Only way to reliably tell is by looking at the underside of the scorpion.
The genital operculum and pectines are located between the legs.
Hi I've looked at comparison pictures online and can't really tell, does this help.
243006823_383549633384773_1733420982443724324_n.jpg