Heterometrus sp.

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My new heterometrus just arrives but I don't know what kind of heterometrus it is....
It is black and has a white sting.
Any ideas?

I'll post some pics soon and hopefully someone will ID it for me.

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My guess would be longimanus but i dont keep any heterometrus.

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If the telson is still white then it is still a juvenile. Way to young to begin id'ing!

It will probably turn out to be one of the more comon species such as spinifer though.

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
as promised here are the pics.
Any ideas of what heterometrus sp. this is are most welcome!

#1 back view

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
# 3 in its enclosure.

What do you guys think?
and by the way is the enclosure big enough for him?

Andrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
not shure but still vary young does it have a hiding place

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd say h. spinifer. I removed h. longimanus from the list because yours doesn't seem to have granulation on the femur (refering to basic scorp anatomy, as I don't think that femur is exactly the "arm" of the scorp, anyways..)

I'm not a pro, that's just my thought :) Anyways spinifers are really common, that adds to the chances of yours being one.

Frank

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
How long is this scorpion? I'd prefer an approximate age before making any guestimates.

adios,
edw. :?

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The scorp is aprox 5-6 cm (i think that is about 2 inches) and it's about one and a half years old.

There is a hide available in there, I just picked it up just to take some photos.

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
H. spinifer grows faster than that, in most cases. Actually, I've never heard of one being that small after that amount of time, unless they were not fed but in extremely small quantities. I have a group of H. spinifer here that's a little over a year and a half and they are ALL nearing four inches, to include the specimen which were the "runts". H. longimanus, which I have kept, have also been larger than that at that age. I don't think it will prove to be either of the two species common to the trade, but more likely of the two commons, H. longimanus and only due to the fact that they grow slower than H. spinifer and do not achieve quite the length. I will be in doubt of either of these two species until a proper ID can be achieved.

adios,
edw. :?