Heterometrus sp. ID?

Gman32176

Arachnopeon
Came from the local petsmart, ofcourse labeled "Asian Forest."
Any ideas? They have another one, and I'm thinking of putting them together for a small communal (and maybe some little ones, as I suspect mine is a male and the one at the store a female) but I want to be sure what species I have and be able to make sure the other one is the same. I would imagine they would be, both being from the same place under the same label, but I won't put it past them.. I tried to get as best a shot of the carapace as I could with my crappy phone. He was none too happy about being prodded out of his burrow, not surprisingly, and shot straight back in. I have older pictures from different angles if need be, but they're a bit more blurry. :/
Really don't wanna bother him anymore tonight for more. IMG_1487.JPG IMG_1488.JPG

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
I'm really not all that certain, all of the heterometrus look so similar, I would just take a bunch of pictures of your scorpion, and go to the pet store and compare them. Make sure that they have the same amount of granulation on the carapace and chela. Best of luck!

Gman32176

Arachnopeon
I'm really not all that certain, all of the heterometrus look so similar, I would just take a bunch of pictures of your scorpion, and go to the pet store and compare them. Make sure that they have the same amount of granulation on the carapace and chela. Best of luck!
Right-o then, thank you very much!

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you can post clear pictures of the carapace, chela, and 5th metasomal segment, I can ID it for you. Pictures of the pectines would also help.

Gman32176

Arachnopeon
If you can post clear pictures of the carapace, chela, and 5th metasomal segment, I can ID it for you. Pictures of the pectines would also help.
I'll try when I get home. I'm not super familiar with scorp anatomy though. Google helps with most, but when you say "chela" are you referring to the chelicerae or the pedipalps? I know the other two parts you mentioned.

They were indeed the same sp. from what I can tell. From what I've found on id'ing heterometrus, I think you're correct with the spinifer guess. Hopefully Collin will tell me I'm right. ^.^

Edit: I just saw on another thread that Collin says that almost nobody has actual spinifers. My hopes are now dashed.. Ah well, still confident that they're the same species.. Hopefully. ._.

Last edited:

Gman32176

Arachnopeon
'bout as good as it's gonna get with this phone.. I agree, they all look too similar too me. Idk how you guys do this.. :dead:
Petersii looks like the closest to me now, but that could just be because he mentioned it..
Edit: Also ignore the dry water dish. >_> It was promptly refilled.

Last edited:

AP34

Arachnosquire
They both look great. Hopefully, they'll have good looking babies, too.