Heterometrus sp ID

brolloks

Arachnobaron
Hi Everyone,

Found a local guy selling these. He is not sure what species they are. I am thinking maybe
H. spinifer or H. longimanus?

What do you all think?

Thanks!

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Agreed H.spin or longi, if you can compare multiple specimens (m vs f), you can probably see which of those it is!

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Try to get clear pictures of the carapace, 5th metasomal segment, patella of pedipalps, and the chela, as well as more overall pictures from multiple angles. Pictures of the pectines (to know the sex and to obtain a pectine tooth count) would also help greatly with identification.

If the specimens were wild caught, knowing the location of where they were captured would also help.

brolloks

Arachnobaron
Try to get clear pictures of the carapace, 5th metasomal segment, patella of pedipalps, and the chela, as well as more overall pictures from multiple angles. Pictures of the pectines (to know the sex and to obtain a pectine tooth count) would also help greatly with identification.

If the specimens were wild caught, knowing the location of where they were captured would also help.
Thank, will see what I can do.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
imo that is petersii, carapace matte, kind of a powder "finish" on top instead of a buff shine. Laoticus and petersii don't reflect so much as other Heterometrus. And prob petersii, not laoticus due to the visible granulation on the carapace that laoticus doesn't have. Also have a hunch that is a male, I have some of these, I think.