Heterometrus sp humidity?

jhilde

Arachnopeon
So i have this 3/4" heterometrus spinifer in a pickle jar with 3" of eco earth and a piece of cardboard for a hide. I have been keeping about a 1/4 of the substrate damp but im not sure if its enough as I have read that it needs very high humidity. Also will scorpions drown in water dishes like slings can? Any info will be appreciated.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
So i have this 3/4" heterometrus spinifer in a pickle jar with 3" of eco earth and a piece of cardboard for a hide. I have been keeping about a 1/4 of the substrate damp but im not sure if its enough as I have read that it needs very high humidity. Also will scorpions drown in water dishes like slings can? Any info will be appreciated.
Moisten all of the substrate, not dripping. I wouldn't worry about meeting a specific humidity parameter, just as long as the substrate is moist and it can burrow.

Remove that cardboard and add something that won't mold in high humidity and moist conditions, a piece of slate rock or cork bark, or a terra cotta pot broken in in half.

Yes, they can drown, it takes a lot but they can. As long as they can get in and out there shouldn't be an issue.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Lots of inches of moist substrate (they love to burrow), cork bark, a water dish. End of the story, trust me :-s

jhilde

Arachnopeon
Ok thanks for the replies. I removed the cardboard, added a piece of tile and moistened all the substrate.