Heterometrus...Scaber??

GreekPrince

Arachnosquire
I recently found a shop that was selling what appeared to be an Asian Forest Scorpion, when I asked which, the label said, Heterometrus Scaber.
I have NEVER heard of this heterometrus before so I decided to do some research and found...nothing...
So now i'm thinking are they actually a thing, how would I be able to tell? Did it used t be called something different?

Can anyone shed some light on this hidden heterometrus species please.

Stiverson

Arachnopeon
That is south Indian scorpion then not Asian forest scorpion.
I recently found a shop that was selling what appeared to be an Asian Forest Scorpion, when I asked which, the label said, Heterometrus Scaber.
I have NEVER heard of this heterometrus before so I decided to do some research and found...nothing...
So now i'm thinking are they actually a thing, how would I be able to tell? Did it used t be called something different?

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince

Heterometrus scaber ( Thorell 1876 )

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
I highly doubt that it would be true H. scaber, but yes, the species certainly exists.

The term 'Asian forest scorpion' is used for all Heterometrinae.
That's why common names aren't very usedul and we use the scientific name.

Stiverson

Arachnopeon

yes I have a heterometrus spinifer, the point was the regions where the scaber is from south India not an Asian Forest.

Stiverson

Arachnopeon
That's why common names aren't very usedul and we use the scientific name.
Nice try tho, I always gotta pay the toll troll on here.

India is in Asia, and there are forests too...
Only one can hope and dream to be as elite as you on the arachnidboards.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
yes I have a heterometrus spinifer, the point was the regions where the scaber is from south India not an Asian Forest.
India is in Asia, and there are forests too..
Ignoring the little detail various Heterometrus species are found throughout much of Asia of which less than 2% of the total area is forest.

Regardless, Heterometrus Scaber has a name dispute and is also known as Srilankametrus indus found in Sri Lanka and India. Thorell ID is outdated and may be dropped. But Srilankametrus Indus is even more outdated, De Geer 1778. And it gets more complex with Chersonesometrus tristis and Sahyadrimetrus kanarensis AKA India Scorpions and Heterometrus cimrmani, the original and now dormant name of the 'Thailand Forest Scorpion'. And let's not forget Heterometrus minotaurus which may or may not be Longimanus.
o_O

Last edited:

GreekPrince

Arachnosquire
Ignoring the little detail various Heterometrus species are found throughout much of Asia of which less than 2% of the total area is forest.

Regardless, Heterometrus Scaber has a name dispute and is also known as Srilankametrus indus found in Sri Lanka and India. Thorell ID is outdated and may be dropped. But Srilankametrus Indus is even more outdated, De Geer 1778. And it gets more complex with Chersonesometrus tristis and Sahyadrimetrus kanarensis AKA India Scorpions and Heterometrus cimrmani, the original and now dormant name of the 'Thailand Forest Scorpion'. And let's not forget Heterometrus minotaurus which may or may not be Longimanus.
o_O
Those names always confused me, I bought a Minotaurus, and a Longimanus AND a Cimrmani. From what I understand Minotaurus and Cimrmani were both changed to Leviagatus and Minotaurus was given to a Slender Forest scorpion now. Someone correct me if I’ve made a mistake.

But yes just wanted to make sure Scaber was an actual scorpion as people seem to make up their own sometimes, and also I haven’t seen any information on Scaber or how to identify it from other Heterometrus species

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Those names always confused me
The term 'Asian Forest' is just as confusing. From the Arabian desert to the Steppes to Himalayas to bordering Siberia to Japan to the Philippines down through Indonesia covers barren deserts through glaciers, interspersed with occasional forested areas.