Heterometrus Petersii.....BABIES!!!!

hodged02

Arachnopeon
I picked (won on a raffle) up a new scorpion at the Northern Invert show UK this year, and it was marked as Heterometrus Petersii. So got a nice tank, setup for it with some deep substrate an a nice size hide and all was well. The scorpion (name Liquorice) settled in well....very well in fact......i've had lots of other exotic animals and inverts so had a look at sexing the scorpion....male....i thought......WRONG!

2 days ago i come home from work and thought "he" had injured as had a mark on "his" back, but upon looking closer, it was a BABY, as i type at the end of the 2nd full day she's currently at 9 on her back and still going…..

I have bred other animals before, currently breading hissing roaches, and bred bearded dragons for 7 years, but never a scorpion, so any advice of experienced breeders would be great

Attachments

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Try not to stress her out during the next few weeks or she may eat the babies. After a few weeks the babies will molt into 2i and then climb off moms back at which time you may separate them. Keep humidity and heat on point shell do the rest. Congrats!!

hodged02

Arachnopeon
Try not to stress her out during the next few weeks or she may eat the babies. After a few weeks the babies will molt into 2i and then climb off moms back at which time you may separate them. Keep humidity and heat on point shell do the rest. Congrats!!
Thanks!

hodged02

Arachnopeon
Quick update, she has had 10, Maybe 11 scorplings, an now is back to normal sitting in her hide, just sprayed opposite side of the tank while topping up water, an once lid was back on she popped out for a look then went back in.....

hodged02

Arachnopeon
Sad update, came home yesterday to all the babies dead, all in the same area of the tank, on the substrate under a small Cork bark, an mum was sat in her hide as usual, left the babies just incase, but all definitely dead today, dont know what happened as she's been left alone save the time ive topped of the water and sprayed the opposite end of the tank, she had even eaten a pre killed cricket so couldn't of been hunger...... :-(