heterometrus longimanus

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hey, heterometrus are my favourite scorps,
ive got H.laoticus and H.spinifer, they are soo beautiful,
yours seems very tame... mine never let me see them eat :( or if they do they scamper away
thenagain they all have an evil streak in them

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Are the heterometrus scorps more active hunters and a little more agressive than the pandinus scorps?

leiurus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, they are much more active than emperors and a lot more on the agressiveness side... If you touch its body with something, it'll pinch and sting it everywhere... :eek:
This is a very nice scorp!
Dom

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
leiurus said:
Yes, they are much more active than emperors and a lot more on the agressiveness side... If you touch its body with something, it'll pinch and sting it everywhere... :eek:
This is a very nice scorp!
Dom
yeah, but this is also governed by temperature, at 30 oC the forest scorp goes beserk when you even go near it, i had a 6th inst h.spinifer hiss at me for opening its container, and it tryed to sting me also.
whereas at 25oC its docile (im speaking for my h.laoticus wc female)
V impressive scorps

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
heterometrus look neat.. ooh.. another one I might have to have.. oh no :/

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i have one but it's not aggressive. just skitish

darrelldlc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had mine hiss at me too, it wasn't as loud as opistophthalmus but you could definately hear it. I am not sure what species mine is either longimanus or spinifer, but she just had babies. I think she is more aggressive than my P. transvaalicus, she will stand her ground while the P. transvaalicus runs all over the inside of the tank trying to hide.
Darrell.

Golemer

Arachnopeon
Ok... well I just recently bought my emperor scorpion... ok it is still kinda small... well just to see if it would... I bought a pinki mouse and set it in there and wow... he actually ate it... I mean the mouse looked way to big for it to eat cause I didn't know how they eat... but man after eating on it for several hours he was finally done and he ate over 90% of the mouse... I was totally impressed lol. See I own a rose hair tarantula, ball python, and emperor scorpion... so yeah I like exotic pets... mainly cause I fell like I really do learn from them.

r8frazer

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep 3 (one died two days ago ) H.Laoticus in a 30 Gallon community tank.. they look very much like your longimanus... whats the difference?

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hei geroge, is there any way to easily ID between spinifer or laotics over longimanus? cos afte seeing this pic im very sure its a LONNNNGGimanus because of its long hands, is there any way?

rex_arachne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
is there a thread in arachnoboards that shows all the Heterometrus species and their physical differences? or any websites at all that discuss all the Heterometrus species? they are soooo hard to distinguish from each other!

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hei walton :p

Kovarick puts the difference this way: male H.longimanus have longer claws (proportionally) to females, whereas Laoticus and spinifer have no sexual dimorphism like this in the claws. ;)

Couzijn talks about granulation differences, but i cant comment on its use for ID, as my H.longimanus arent adult yet ;(

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow.. so that one in the pic in this thred is a male longimanus? female longimanus will have shorter claws? like chearilus? hehehe

woodson

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
leiurus said:
This is my heterometrus longimanus
Is there someone who keep these guys?
Oh my god!
I do not think it is a Heterometrus longimanus.
I think the stinger should be red. If it is just black, I think it is hererometrus spinifer.

Woodson

Last edited: