Heterometrus Longimanus baby?

Metalguy89

Arachnopeon
So I got myself a baby asian forest scorpion last night, but I wanted to double check his ID before actually labeling him. They had him labeled as heterometrus longimanus, but who knows if they're accurate.

Anyone with a second opinion?

Attachments

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Heterometrus species cannot be accurately identified at that age, however I'm almost certain that's not a H. longimanus. H. longimanus have telsons that are lighter colored than the rest of their body. I suspect it's a Heterometrus petersii, as that's the most common species in the hobby. It will become more apparent what it is as it gets older.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
So I got myself a baby asian forest scorpion last night, but I wanted to double check his ID before actually labeling him. They had him labeled as heterometrus longimanus, but who knows if they're accurate.

Anyone with a second opinion?
Did you get from a pet shop or an actual breeder?

That small, it makes it difficult to determine an exact species. Its Heterometrus sp. nonetheless.

I have longimanus, petersii and spinifer, all from breeders or long time keepers. I've found spinifer to be the most common species available and often times mislabeled too.

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have longimanus, petersii and spinifer, all from breeders or long time keepers. I've found spinifer to be the most common species available and often times mislabeled too.
Are you sure that your specimens are actually H. spinifer and H. longimanus?

I ask because those species are actually not particularly common in the U.S. hobby, and are frequently simply misidentified H. petersii or H. laoticus.