Heterometrus is a glutton

oliviasjhall

Arachnopeon
Got my second AFS in the mail a few days ago. He is an absolute firecracker compared to his female predecessor - he is extremely active. I assumed he was just hunting so I fed him... and then fed him again... and again. He hasn't turned down a single meal. Today I've given him four adult crickets and he's gobbled each one of them right up without hesitation and is still cruising, same as the last couple days. He makes a huge racket all night rearranging his enclosure and smacking into things. He appears fairly relaxed, has four separate hides to choose from should he want them, and appears healthy.

My question is this - it's not possible to overfeed an adult scorpion, is it? I always had the impression that they will stop eating when they've had their fill. My last one didn't eat nearly as much and would leave prey uneaten. This guy won't even let me drop prey in, he comes and grabs them from the tongs every time. Should I keep letting him gorge himself like a big fat glutton, or should I steer him away from a sinful life of excess?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
The choice is your's, but by feeding him a lot now you may not see him much at all later, as they will go into a sort of resting phase to thin down/molt after a period of intensive meals. For a person such as myself who likes to see his/her specimens relatively regularly, I keep my specimens lean and mean (within reason, I provide enough food for proper development).

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
He's relaxing himself by smacking into things all night long. That has got to be the best example of mosh-pit head banging ever :lol:

You can't really overfeed a scorpion, they simply stop eating when they've had enough. They're not like cats or dogs that need to eat every day. And I agree with Arthroverts, he'll probably go into a type of dormancy and you won't see him for ages.

oliviasjhall

Arachnopeon
He's relaxing himself by smacking into things all night long. That has got to be the best example of mosh-pit head banging ever :lol:

You can't really overfeed a scorpion, they simply stop eating when they've had enough. They're not like cats or dogs that need to eat every day. And I agree with Arthroverts, he'll probably go into a type of dormancy and you won't see him for ages.
He's about as much of a dullard as I was in my mosh-pitting days, to say the least... funny you mention that though, I was considering taking some of those big long spikes people put on their leather jackets and covering the top and sides of his tank lid with them, primarily to keep the damn cat off of it but also to scare the bejeezus out of visitors.

The pet box-of-dirt is far more what I am accustomed to, and as fun as that was, I'm really enjoying this guy completely going off the chain... guess I have to make him earn his keep.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I agree with above statements. Learned the lesson the hard way about over feeding. No need for it. Didn’t see mine for months the first time I over fed it, and mine was on accident.