Heterometrus Identification

Yolotli

Arachnopeon
IMG_8077.JPG IMG_8078.JPG IMG_7991.JPG Hello; last week I got a Heterometrus from a Repticon, and I would like some help with identification. I've seen the scientific review of the genus, and based on it, my current guesses are H. spinifer, H. cyaenus, and H. petersii, though I want to make certain. If more pictures are necessary, I can take some more tonight. Thank you in advance.

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks to be H. petersii. Post pictures of the, carapace, chela, 5th metasomal segment, and (if possible) pectines to confirm the ID.

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can you get pictures of the carapace?

Also, I should've specified, I need a lateral view of the 5th metasomal segment and chela.

Yolotli

Arachnopeon
IMG_8102.JPG
Wasn't this the carapace?
Also, I'll have to wait to get lateral pictures of the chela and 5th metastomal segment; my scorpion got annoyed and returned to his log.

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Whoops! Sorry, a couple of the pictures weren't showing up for me for some reason.

It does look to be a H. petersii.

Yolotli

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the ID. However, I am surprised about the sex. I thought my scorpion was a male based on the pectines. I'm basing that on this diagram: IMG_7983.JPG IMG_8001.JPG

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The pectines on your scorpion do match those of a female. In addition to pectine size, The characters of primary external sexual dimorphism are the undivided genital operculum in the female, which opens in a single flap and is usually heart shaped with a small split in the posterior end. Comparatively, the male's genital operculum is usually oval shaped, and composed of two unconnected sclerites, which open independently and cover a pair of genital papillae.

Furthermore H. petersii also shows sexual dimorphism in that males will have an enlarged tooth on the movable finger of the chela that females lack.

Yolotli

Arachnopeon
Wow! It's really fascinating how much you know about this subject. Are you a scientist or scorpion breeder? Thank you for the help!

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I do breed scorpions, but not on a large enough scale that I would call myself a breeder.

Am I a scientist?

I suppose that would depend on your definition of scientist. Do I have a degree from an accredited university in a related field of study? No.

That being said, I do study scorpions, often communicate and occasionally work with arachnologists, and volunteer at educational institutions where I interact with the public. So I guess I could be called a citizen scientist in that regard.