Heterometrus Cyaneus questions

Tigger

Arachnopeon
Hey. I just got a couple of H. Cyaneus slings. They are about 1/2 inch. I figured the "If you're comfortable, they're comfortable" tarantula rule would apply but I have seen a few videos and posts on other forums suggesting they need at least 25 degrees (77F) and very high humidity. Considering the whole Avicularia humidity debacle from a few years back I'm looking for a second opinion. At this time of year my house is around 25 degrees during the day and can drop to as low as 20 degrees overnight. Humidity is not particularly high or low and I have them on a slightly damp mix of coconut coir and topsoil with a very small tattoo inkpot for a water dish. I have some Sphagnum Moss and Orchid Bark I can add, too.

Any advice from those of you who have raised Asian Forest Scorpions from slings?

AFS.jpeg

Despite their seeming aversion to light I managed to get a shot of the little guy scurrying around his rock. As you can see I took this photo with a potato.

GordoOldman

Arachnoknight
Obviously the low light TAC potatoe camera by Bell&Howell!

I keep a hot end of about 85 degrees and a cool end at about 75 degrees (Fahrenheit) with about 75 percent ambient humidity (the hides humidity levels run feom 85 to 95 percent).

I raise all my Heterometrus scorplings together amd I keep them well fed. They grow pretty quickly at these temperatures and with adequate food. I attach a picture of a litter and a shot 7 months later of some of that litter...they hide in groups together in the enclosures. Not near as fast rearing as some species, but waaaay faster than my Hadogenes!

The substrate I use is a compost with sand, clay, chopped sphagnum, pine fines and some pea gravel added.

I remove any uneaten food the next day, as at the twmps amd humidity it does not take long for mold or fungus gnats to find it.

Attachments