Heterometrus communal

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I have 4 heterometrus slings, 2 l3 and 2 still l2. Would it be a good idea to try and setup a communal setup, or should I keep them separate for now?

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
Although many have have tried to setup several Heterometrus species as communal it went with limited success.
In most of those cases the scorpions remained friendly for several months, sometimes even longer than a year. (especially H. longimanus)
But eventually things would take a turn at cannibalism. Not all of the scorpions in a communal setup have to change their mind, just 1 is enough to loose scorpions.
When (after a long time, weeks/months) things turn towards cannibalism you will always be too late. Taking the conclusion that it doesn't work comes after the first victim was made, not before.
Keeping them separate is the safest option. If you can't handle a few of the scorpions being eaten, then i suggest you go solo.
No matter what anyone suggests about a communal setup, apart from some supportive suggestions you will not/never have any guarantee that all of your scorpions will be safe.
I've heard of several cases of people losing Heterometrus scorpions to cannibalism, that's why i keep mine separate. (cause I know I would always be too late)

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
I agree with Lubed Tweezer, it's safer to keep them separate if you don't want to lose any of them.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I’ll do that for now then. Are there any scorpions that aren’t “hot” that aren’t too dangerous that’d be able to live communally? I was thinking vaejovis carolinianus or centruroided gracilis(florida locale of course)

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
Low venom and communal leaves you with the option of Pandinus Imperator.
Another one to consider but unfortunately a bit hotter (level 3/4 of 5) is Tityus Stigmurus.
Centruroides gracilis venom is also more potent than P imperator.
P imperator seems to be the best choice in my opinion.
I have only 1 P imperator at this moment, but @FrankiePinchinatti has them living communal if i remember correct, maybe you could ask him for some tips if you are interested.