Heterodon platirhinos

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This guy here had 2 Boxers at bay.LOL!I got a call today to come get this snake before it bites their dogs.Been a little bit since I seen one so sissy,but I guess I would to if I had 2 dogs in my face..

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

Correction girl,explains the attitude! Now J/K{D{D

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow, weird looking snake. I've never seen one like that before. Are they always flattened like that in the front?

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lol, I love hognoses!

H. laoticus, it's a hognose :) Harmless, but has some cool defense mechanisms.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is one reason I love Heterodon. Some look like vipers, while H. nasicus almost looks like a dwarf rattlesnake.

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Is that a hognose species?
I've only ever heard of the common ones, didnt realise there were others, very nice snake :D

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes and its MINE MUahhahhahahhaah!!! Great shot Kevin, now I just need a male to go with it and will have almost all of the Heterodon-Leioheterodon species in breeding pairs. I will have to get some pics up soon of all of my snakes and inverts here shortly to show you the Leioheterodon Sp. They are all awesome species

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I tried to spray down with water to see if colors brighten up.It is either near shed or just the darker variety.Most I see around here are a lot lighter colored.I caught one female years ago and it had a lot of lumps in her.Well the next day she laid a lot of eggs.I place them in the barn because I was on the way to work( and late because of the very happy discovery) and when I got off they were all gone:eek:

I felt really bad.

Last edited:

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nice catch, and good thing the guy who found it called you instead of killing it before it "bit his dogs"(did his dogs look like toads, btw?). This girl is really putting on the Cobra act in those pics, lol! Hoggies are so funny when they do that, since they just won't bite, although I'm sure that more than once a Hognose has resulted in wild stories of "Cobras" running loose around the countryside, as was the case in NC a few years ago. It's just too bad that these Eastern Hogs are picky about what they eat, since to me they are just very cool snakes.

pitbulllady

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes indeed like a cobra.she was actually hissing and blowing very hard.
She would defiantly beat my cobras as far as noise making goes.