Herp Cult enclosure

TaylorCV27

Arachnopeon
Will this acrylic double opening large enclosure work well with poecilotheria? It has a metal screen instead of mesh. I'm assuming they could get caught less easily in the metal screen. (Can't figure out how to get picture of it on here)

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Looks like just finer mesh. I'd go for the Exo-terra 12x12x18 probably at that price point and modify the lid. Maybe bigger if its a large poeci. The Repti-zoo are cheaper but the top doesn't open besides feeding holes, it is stamped metal though. I like glass personally.

TaylorCV27

Arachnopeon
Looks like just finer mesh. I'd go for the Exo-terra 12x12x18 probably at that price point and modify the lid. Maybe bigger if its a large poeci. The Repti-zoo are cheaper but the top doesn't open besides feeding holes, it is stamped metal though. I like glass personally.
How would I modify the lid? I'm no mechanic lol. Can you buy a pre molded lid?

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Not sure, maybe just cut a piece of plexiglass that size and drill holes in it. Someone does sell replacements, and they are nice, maybe someone knows.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
There's a shop on Etsy that sells replace lids for Exos that are 3D printed plastic & acrylic. They're cheap (like $12-15 for the nano tall) and ship fast. Just go to Etsy and search "exoterra replacement lid".

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
Will this acrylic double opening large enclosure work well with poecilotheria? It has a metal screen instead of mesh. I'm assuming they could get caught less easily in the metal screen. (Can't figure out how to get picture of it on here)

If you want acrylic like this for show I suggest switching to tarantula cribs. Specifically made for T’s. No mesh all acrylic.
That’s where I get my enclosures from. I like displaying my T’s. So I’ll pay extra to have nice enclosures. That’s just me though. There’s more.

TaylorCV27

Arachnopeon
If you want acrylic like this for show I suggest switching to tarantula cribs. Specifically made for T’s. No mesh all acrylic.
That’s where I get my enclosures from. I like displaying my T’s. So I’ll pay extra to have nice enclosures. That’s just me though. There’s more.
I tried looking there but I didn't see any tall enough for poecilotheria. Maybe I over looked it. They had one that doesn't ship til much later

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
Someone can correct me if im wrong but actually the metal shouldnt behave like mesh. The reason Ts get stuck in mesh is because its multiple woven fibers and their little claws get in-between those fibers causing them to get caught and not removable except at the exact angle they went in. Metal is a solid line and thus the holes are the only places the T can grab, and thus wont get stuck.

Pretty sure herpcult designed it as metal so it wont cause the issues mesh cause. Cause they know about Ts.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Someone can correct me if im wrong but actually the metal shouldnt behave like mesh. The reason Ts get stuck in mesh is because its multiple woven fibers and their little claws get in-between those fibers causing them to get caught and not removable except at the exact angle they went in. Metal is a solid line and thus the holes are the only places the T can grab, and thus wont get stuck.
yes the expanded metal is fine, I use some enclosures that have this and it is totally safe as long as it is not woven mesh!

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
yes the expanded metal is fine, I use some enclosures that have this and it is totally safe as long as it is not woven mesh!
Yeah I thought so, the mesh is woven which I think is the issue that causes them to get stuck

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah I thought so, the mesh is woven which I think is the issue that causes them to get stuck
Correct only that type is an issue, the other two commonly seem are perfectly fine!

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Pretty sure herpcult designed it as metal so it wont cause the issues mesh cause. Cause they know about Ts.
I could see a spider ripping right through that stuff with its fangs if it wanted to.

TaylorCV27

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much for the tips I will go with the exo terra

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Thank you so much for the tips I will go with the exo terra
A wise choice. Even if there were a big enough Tarantula Cribs, which I do love and use, what's it going to look like in 10 years, or 30? Nothing but scratches...

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
Tinker lids on Etsy makes custom lids for exoterra. Just make sure you get the from and back vent lid with the glass/acrylic parts so you don’t have to cut it yourself