Heros Species and Ranges

James H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have been looking through 15 pages of posts in the hopes of finding a link to a range map that will list the species of heros and the areas within there overall range they are found. I am trying to do my homework a bit for my pede hunting trip this summer.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
interestingly enough R. Shelley (our patron living saint of North American Scolopendromopha) doesn't really confirm any of the heros subspecies. like much of the hobby, they need intense analysis on a genetic level to know what is really going on.

range maps for the dif colormorphs would pretty much have to be constructed from reading catcherman reports and posts on here and other places

look for posts by Galapoheros to get a head start.

i would love to see any maps you generate and any data that went into their generation. you can easily get maps for TX and the rest of the states from the wiki commons that you could annotate and otherwise mark up and still freely post on the web.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
interestingly enough R. Shelley (our patron living saint of North American Scolopendromopha) doesn't really confirm any of the heros subspecies. like much of the hobby, they need intense analysis on a genetic level to know what is really going on.
Whaaaaaa:eek: Now that is interesting! A lot of work to do I guess. I've got very basic, limited info on S. heros in Texas but I have a little experience and have heard "word of mouth" info too. The thing is, even though I look around a lot, I tend to hit the same spots once I find a good place. I'd go a lot of places to look, but if I didn't see anything in a couple of days, I wouldn't go there anymore, ..doesn't mean they weren't there of course. I wouldn't take my personal experience as accurate boundary info but this might help a little. If you drew a line north and south through the Junction Texas area, I generally see S. h. castaneiceps east of that line and S. h. heros west of that line. I don't have a good idea of how far north the S. h. heros speculated boundary range goes. If I'm remembering right, seems like I heard someone tell me they can be found south along that Junction Tx line south to the Laredo area. I've never looked around in the TX panhandle area. I remember a post where someone saw several S. h. heros in south NM around Carlsbad. I'm really thinking about a trip there in a week or two but it's so far. My personal exp with seeing heros in the wild is that I have never seen one that is not in the proximity of rocky outcrops, or at least where there a many rocks. I've found them under logs and other things other than rocks but I've always found them in areas with bedrock. I grew up in east Tx and have been flipping rocks and logs since my parents let me wander away from the house and never saw a heros pede in Bryan Tx (e tx). I had access to 2000 acres I hunted for bug stuff on. Many years later I found out S. h. castaneiceps can be found around Lake Somerville which is about 20 miles west of Bryan. There is bedrock there around Lake Somerville which is kind of rare in the Bryan tx area. In my experience, I've never seen S. h. heros in the same areas I see S. h. castaneiceps. I'm not claiming that's the case, just never have seen them together in an area.